  Flat for Sale: Mapuca, Goa (Ansabhat) - 10 min walk to Mapuca Market
      2 Bedroom-Living-Dining-Kitchen-Bath-Balcony-Terrazo Floors
                 Great Investment - Winter Getaway
          Asking Canadian $ 31,500/-  or  Indian Rs 10 lakhs

        Contact Rosario Fernandes - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The State Award for Fr. Moreno de Souza, the founder
director of TSKK, was certainly long overdue.  But the
manner in which the current Director is trying to use
it for his own ulterior purpose is amusing and his
argumet amazing to say the least.
The current Director is trying to convey the message
that Fr. Moreno is the first Konkani writer in the
Roman script to receive this Award.  But this is far
from the truth; there have been many others.  Last
year it was Mr. Brazinho Soares whose publications
have been exclusively in the Roman script.  But this
fact did not prompt this Direcor to use it for
advising the CM about amending the Official Language
Act.
He also assumes that public memory is very short.  Fr.
Moreno has always publicly declared, in print and from
the platform, that Devanagari is the most suitable
script for Konkani.  He shared this view with his
senior colleague, and perhaps a more eminent writer in
the Roman script, the late Fr. Antonio Pereira who was
one of the two Catholic priest members of the
Advisory Board that unanimousy recommended to the
Sahitya Akademi the recognition of Devanagari as the
sole script for Konkani for the  purposes of the
Akademi.
But when Fr. Moreno reiterated this long-held view of
his a little over a year ago, the disciples of this
Director heaped opprobrium on this venerable priest;
he was paid compliments like "senile old man", "double
crosser" and worse.  This was done not only in the
English press and on the internet, but also on V.IXTT.
a sober Catholic Konkani weekly.  It is amusing to
note that those very writers are today rushing in to
congraulate him only with the purpose of innocuoualy
pushing their nefarious agenda.
Fr. Moreno is totally against amending the OLA.  When
Goan churches were sought to be used for this end, he
convened a meeting of like-minded individuals in his
own Office at Old Goa and founded the "Goan Catholics
for Devanagri" as a forum to counter the move.  It was
only his advanced age and indifferen health which
prevented him from being the Convenor of the forum.
It is therefore amazing that the current Director
should demand something which the Awardee himself
abhors.  Shame on him!

Let truth prevail!
Sebastian Borges

--- "Goa's Pride www.goa-world.com"