  Flat for Sale: Mapuca, Goa (Ansabhat) - 10 min walk to Mapuca Market
      2 Bedroom-Living-Dining-Kitchen-Bath-Balcony-Terrazo Floors
                 Great Investment - Winter Getaway
          Asking Canadian $ 31,500/-  or  Indian Rs 10 lakhs

        Contact Rosario Fernandes - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi Cornel,

I think the drop out rate from U.S. medical schools is
low, but perhaps higher than that from the medical
college in Goa. The reasons for dropping out in the
U.S. are most likely much different from those in Goa.
In Goa the only case of drop out that I know was
because of failure. In the U.S. it is mostly because
of a drastic change in career plans such as business,
pursuit of fundamental research not requiring medical
qualifications and disillusionment. Two of my friends
who dropped out of medical school here have ended up
becoming world-renowned neuroscientists.

Regarding recruiting medical students from other
disciplines, this is quite common in the U.S., and has
been so for at least 3 decades. A large percentage of
engineers routinely become doctors. Regarding law, a
law school degree is still coveted in the U.S., unlike
in Goa. And there is at least as much competition to
get into a law school as there is to get into a
medical school. Bachelor's degrees in general have
much more value in the U.S. than in Goa. They better
have it, because college education is very expensive.
Regarding software engineering, perhaps, it is more
lucrative in India than in the U.S. because of
outsourcing. If money is all one cares about then
besides successful entrepreneurship, the highest
incomes are generated in private equity, followed by
investment banking.

The smartest, the most talented and the most
hardworking are still faced with the age-old
questions: Should they create wealth? Should they
create new knowledge? Should they create works of art?
Should they impart knowledge? Or should they devote
their lives to alleviate the pain and suffering of the
less fortunate among us? But I firmly believe that
today a young man or woman can do many of these
things, if not simultaneously then at least
sequentially. My son is embarking on this experiment
next summer. Let us see how things turn out.

Cheers,

Santosh