      If you would like to sponsor Goanet's operations contact:

                  Herman Carneiro - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 25/02/07, Eugene Correia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

1: Heard that Nehru had said the words. I heard from many Goan fighters in
Mumbai, including my relatives, ..

2:  It is the "remark" which Nehru is supposed to have made, but not in the
way it has been worded.
3: There is no foolproof that Nehru said the words attributed to him.

====

jc's response:

Thank You Eugene Correia.

If one fast-forwards to present times, we have all kinds of racist (et al)
statements made by people in position and denied, only to be 'caught on
tape'.

The 1950s afford us no such luxury. We have to hear what we are being told
about those times, and decipher (if we wish) on the balance of
probabilities.

Impressions that we as individuals develop largely depend  upon our own
experiences and upon what we read and hear. What was (from your
understanding)  Nehru's prior experience and information about Goa and
Goans?  What could it have been? What role did Goans play in the social
scene in British India and in the UK (in Nehru's time).

You lived in Bombay (like I lived in Poona). What was the sum total of what
nonGoans thought of Goans -  when you lived there? Did they believe that
Goans were mainly Hindu and had a good number of intellectuals within their
fold?  Is that the impression you got when you spoke to your nonGoan
colleagues and co-workers?.

What exactly might have been the basis/incentive for Nehru to think of Goans
as other than "cooks and butlers" ?

I ask: If there was a choice between believing your family members (who were
Freedom Fighters) and a politician, Who would you, on the balance of
probabilities, believe? Did Nehru tell the truth about Dadra & Nagar Haveli?
Was he totally honest about Subhas Chandra Bose? I am not sure. I am just
asking. And Yes, I have learnt to understand that anything is possible when
it comes to politicians. They ALL (as far as I can decipher) profess to be
philantrophists and humanitarians. What they practice is altogether
different.

Mahatma Gandhi fortunately - was not a politician

sincerely

jc
BTW: Have you any knowledge of any declaration (drawn up by Cardinal
Gracias) meant to be signed by Bombay Goans ...which apparently was
eventually scrapped as it allegedly got a very cold reception from the
Goans?

One of these days, I will try read Leo Lawrence's book on Nehru and Goa, and
see if there is any reference to Cardinal Gracias.

Have you read that book, What have you heard about Leo's credibility, Is he
trustworthy?

Once again, I ask because I do not know.