      If you would like to sponsor Goanet's operations contact:

                  Herman Carneiro - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Eugene Correia wrote on GoaNet

1:Jose's posing more questions makes this issue go longer. As another netter
suggested, it's time to bury this issue.

2: If Jose is asking about the Dadra incident that provoke Indian invasion
into Goa, it is not definitely known if it was true or not.

========
jc's final response on this matter :

re 1: The above might fall into Goveian logic i.e. let's bury this issue.
Perhaps, it is a good idea, Perhaps not. Perhaps, our forebears should have
accepted that the earth was flat or that the sun rotated round the earth.
Perhaps, we should never ask questions about what and why, or we should just
accept 'talking points'.

re 2: I did not ask any such thing. My point relates to my measured distrust
of politicians. My point relates to the point you had made on Feb 21 i.e.
"Goa ruined Nehru's reputation as an advocate of non-violence"

Would you know what statement Nehru issued immediately post Dadra ? Is that
statement questionable? If that is so, How could "Goa ruin Nehru's
reputation as an advocate of non-violence" when Dadra preceded Goa?

In closing, I'd say this:

Let's not expect politicians to be honest, peace loving, democracy
fostering, caring individuals. When in power, they never were, are nor will
ever be. Power changes the equation. Nehru may have publicly professed
non-violence' but he could not justifiably be called an advocate of
non-violence. Mahatma Gandhi was. We all should be peace loving and non
violent individuals. Violence never brings happiness. It always brings
misery - however much we justify it today .... in Goveian terms.
It is better to accept our politicians as they are i.e. Humans, and not put
them on pedestals. Politicians should be judged for what they were elected
to do. Did they do a good job towards helping the people be happier, safer
and more prosperous? That would be the question to ask.

As far as India is concerned, give me a Rajiv Gandhi, Narsimha Rao, Atal
behari Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh ...any day....better still ....Sonia! but
please do not make them into demi-gods......and kiss their feet when they
are in power.

jc