Are the conditions that the Jews faced in Hitler's Germany and Muslims face
in Modi's Gujarat very much different, except in degrees and the times?
This is what a Muslim doctor has to say:
Quote:

A Muslim physician in Ahmedabad had his clinic burned down during the riots
of 2002. Today the halls leading to his office are filled with tiles
depicting Hindu gods and goddesses that he hopes may act as a deterrent
during future riots in Gujarat, which he fears is a matter of when, not if.
In this election, he will be voting for Modi's BJP when Gujarat heads to
the polls on 30 April. "I vote for my safety now," he says. "I have two
children and maybe if Hindus know I am a BJP voter, they will see me as one
of the good Muslims."

This is the BJP effect: it has convinced many Hindus in India that the
rational, forward-thinking, patriotic Muslims are the ones who support Modi
and the bad Muslims are those who speak critically of Modi record,
including his alleged role in the 2002 Gujarat riots.

The BJP would like voters to believe that its new Muslim supporters have
been fully welcomed as equals to the party's predominantly Hindu base. But
the reality is quite different. When the cameras and tape recorders are
switched off, Muslim supporters of the BJP say they understand that they
are an accessory – not a companion – in Modi's efforts to become India's
next prime minister.

Unquote:

For full article, please see  below.

   - [image: Zahir
Janmohamed]<http://www.theguardian.com/profile/zahir-janmohamed>
   -
      - Zahir Janmohamed<http://www.theguardian.com/profile/zahir-janmohamed>
      -
      - theguardian.com <http://www.theguardian.com/>, Wednesday 23 April
      2014 07.01 BST
      - Jump to comments
(100)<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/23/narendra-modi-reaching-out-india-muslim-vote#start-of-comments>

[image: BJP Leader Narendra Modi Campaigns In Gujarat]
'If Modi is to come to power, it will likely be as part of a ­coalition.
This has forced the BJP to scramble for as many votes as possible.'
Photograph: Kevin Frayer/Getty

On an unlit lane in Juhapura, a Muslim neighbourhood of Ahmedabad, the
largest city in India's western state of Gujarat, 20-year-old Muslim Faizan
Mansuri plays cricket on his smartphone. Juhapura, where I have lived since
2012, has few paved roads or sewage systems and each year about 2,000
children are denied an
education<http://kafila.org/2013/02/20/prof-vk-tripathi-and-the-fight-for-schools-in-juhapura-zahir-janmohamed/>
because
of a lack of schools. Once a mixed Hindu and Muslim area in the 1970s,
today almost all of us 400,000 residents are Muslim.

Faizan, who is voting for the first time, believes this election is about
the economy and looking forward: "I know about the
riots<http://www.hrw.org/reports/2002/india/>,
I know about theproblems Muslims
face<http://www.minorityaffairs.gov.in/sachar> in
this country, but I am going to vote for [Narendra] Modi. He is good for
the economy and if Modi becomes prime minister, he will be able to improve
the economy in time for my graduation in 2016 when I start searching for a
job."

Faizan's comments would make Modi, the front-running prime ministerial
candidate representing the Bharatiya Janata party (BJP), drool as he tries
to woo India's Muslim vote in this election.

In order for any single party to form the government, it needs to secure
272 of the 543
seats<http://carnegieendowment.org/2013/09/10/how-india-s-parliamentary-elections-work/gmr2>
in
the Lok Sabha, the lower house of parliament that will select India's next
PM. Most argue that the BJP will fall short of this
total<http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2014/03/elections-india?zid=309&ah=80dcf288b8561b012f603b9fd9577f0e>
as
no single party has secured a majority of seats since 1989. If Modi is to
come to power, it will likely be as part of a coalition. This has forced
the BJP to scramble for as many votes as possible, including reaching out
to a segment the Hindu nationalist party has often ignored: India's Muslims.

India has the world's second largest Muslim
population<http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/07/worlds-muslim-population-more-widespread-than-you-might-think/>
with
about 176 million Muslims making up 14% of the population. The election
will be largely decided on by the outcome of two states: Uttar Pradesh,
which has 200 million
residents<http://censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-results/indiaatglance.html>
and
80 seats in the Lok Sabha, with a Muslim population of 18%; and Bihar which
has about 100
million<http://censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-results/indiaatglance.html>
and
40 seats with a Muslim population of 16.5%.

The BJP has been in overdrive for the past few months trying to win over
these two states and their large Muslim populations. In March, Modi gave a
speech in Bihar to a predominantly Muslim audience at which he boasted that
Muslims in Gujarat are wealthier and better educated than in any other
parts of India. Supporters of Modi even released a music video showing
Muslim men and women  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R89OtzxD_vs>dressed
in odd-looking hats and scarves with feathers stuck in them. I can confirm
Muslims in India do not dress like this. In some ways, the BJP's outreach
efforts resemble a comedy skit by the American duo Key and Peele where the
Tea Party is shown as all too eager to embrace a black supporter so they
can clean up their image of being a predominantly white movement.

In fact the BJP is so serious about embracing Muslim voters that in itselection
manifesto<http://www.bjp.org/images/pdf_2014/full_manifesto_english_07.04.2014.pdf>,
the party promised the restoration of Muslim heritage sites and a
commitment to promoting Muslim education. The manifesto did not, however,
explain why Modi's government opposed efforts
<http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/give-list-of-shrines-damaged-in-riots-court-tells-gujarat/article3620053.ece>to
provide funds for the reconstruction of the mosques and
shrines<http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/11/21/in-india-using-heritageaspoliticalcamouflage.html>destroyed
in the 2002 Gujarat riots, or why they tried to block
funds<http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/hc-asks-modi-govt-to-implement-minority-scholarship-scheme/article4418927.ece>
for
minority scholarships in Gujarat.

And yet despite this, Modi's outreach plan is working. MJ Akbar is one of
India's most celebrated Muslim writers who once compared Modi to
Hitler<http://www.firstpost.com/politics/will-mj-akbars-modi-hitler-analogy-haunt-bjp-1446379.html>.
In March, Akbar
announced<http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-03-24/news/48524118_1_gujarat-riots-narendra-modi-economic-vision>
he
was joining the BJP. But can Modi convince other Muslims to vote for him?
And does he really need their support?

According to a poll by the Indian broadcaster NDTV, 8% of
Muslims<http://www.ndtv.com/elections/article/election-2014/ndtv-opinion-poll-uttar-pradesh-with-narendra-modi-big-dent-for-mulayam-singh-yadav-495794>
in
the key state of Uttar Pradesh are expected to vote for Modi. In Gujarat,
this number is even higher – about 15%. The reasons for this are varied.
Some Muslims in Gujarat support the BJP because they are frustrated with
the Congress party which, like the BJP, has also instigated and benefitted
from religious riots. Others support the BJP because they believe Modi will
bring India out of its economic slump. But some Muslims support Modi, at
least in Gujarat, out of fear.

[...]

• This article was amended on 23 April 2014. The original article stated
that 292 of 543 seats need to be secured for a single party to form
government when in fact it is 272.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/23/narendra-modi-reaching-out-india-muslim-vote