Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Goanet] Goan "shippies" and "gulfies"

Goans have a long history of lack of respect for the
dignity of labour. Someone is a poder, someone is a
kharvi, someone is a raindar. I believe this disdain
comes because in India (Goa) occupations have been
linked to caste. A kharvi for instance can never be a
bamon, no matter how many trawlers he may own or how
many fishing export units he may set up. Come marriage
proposal time, or time to get invited to Fundacao
Oriente parties, he will still remain a kharvi to be
shunned.
selma