enlightening   blog  on Goan  surnames.  While Hindus shortened family names,
Catholics expanded their own

By Valmiki Faleiro.

>We checked Goan Hindu Brahmin (GSB) surnames last Sunday. Let us today look at
>those of other castes … and how GSBs warded off threats to their surname
>identities! The most common non-GSB surnames across Salcete were Chatim (a
>corruption of Xette/Shetty, used by Kshatriyas, Vanis and goldsmiths), Garo
>(Gaad) and Naique(Naik). Others: Gamso (Gauns), Gorvy (Gurav), Guto,
>Poll/Pollo (Pol), Porto, Qurov(Kudav), Saunto (Sawant), Sucaro (Sukdow) and
>Vangari. Some exceptional Vanissported the surname ‘Gawde’ – a pre-Aryan Goan
>tribe name. Difficult to digest how that came about. Surnames of ‘lower’
>classes, generally, were names of their tribe, caste or occupation. As if
>branded on their foreheads. The tribal name of Goa’s first inhabitants, Mhars,
>became their ‘untouchable’ surname. Gavdo (Gawde) was a caste-based surname,
>like equivalents Zalmi or Velip. So also ‘Gonvlli,’ the tribal name of the
>pastoral tribes.The surname of barbers
 was Mhalo (Nabik in the Marathicized regions of north Goa), denoting the
occupation. A class of skilled workmen were Charis. Chanekar, Gadekar,Ghodekar,
Kansar, Kumbhar, Pagi were occupation based surnames.

>As the so-called ‘lower’ classes emancipated, they began to take recourse to
>various means to hide their caste identity. The easiest way was to replace
>their caste surname with that of their village. Traditionally, only GSBs
>appended the village name to the surname, as in Nayak-Sancoalkar or
>Poy-Raiturcar. Other castes now began using them as surnames. Devllis (temple
>servants), ‘devadasis’ or Kalavants (dancers who swirled into whoring) began
>calling themselves Pednekars, until then a highly regarded category of
>Pernem’s GSBs. Humble ‘Mhars’ renamed themselves Gaunkar, which, indeed, they
>were! Thus began a delectable confusion of caste identities via surnames. It
>would not be an exaggeration to say that a bulk of non-GSB Goan Hindu surnames
>today end in “kar” – and that most of these are after village names. They
>reveal neither caste nor occupation. Which, at least to the uninitiated, is
>confusion confounded…
>
>A ‘Borkar’ could either be a GSB from Borim (as in Varde Borkar), or a
>Naik-Bhandarihailing from the same village. A ‘Gaunkar’ could be either a GSB
>(as in ‘Pai Gaunkar’)or a thoroughbred Kshatriya Maratha, or from any of the
>pre-Aryan original settlers of the village way down the caste hierarchy.
>‘Kerkar’ could glide from the purest GSBs up to temple dancers. ‘Redkar’
>actually spans the spectrum from GSBs to cobblers. ‘Sardesai’ could be a GSB
>or a SattariKshatriya. ‘Chodankar’ could similarly be a GSB, or a goldsmith,
>or a Vani, or a Naik-Bhandari, or even a fisherman! Interestingly, goldsmiths
>who call themselves Daivadnya Brahmins, adopted surnamesin parallel with GSB
>ones. A ‘Lotlikar’ could be a GSB or a goldsmith. ‘Desai,’ chiefly aKshatriya
>surname, applies to GSBs and even a rare goldsmith. ‘Shirodkar’ and ‘Kavlekar’
>similarly traverse caste divides. ‘Shirodkar’ ranges from arare GSB or a
 not-so-rare goldsmith, or even a Bhandari from Shiroda. ‘Raikar’ couldbe a
GSB, Vani or goldsmith. ‘Vernekar’ could be GSB or goldsmith. ‘Verlekar’
though, like Nagvenkar, Karekar and Revankar, are generally goldsmith domain
surnames.‘Madkaikar’, another golden surname, however, could swing between a
goldsmith and a gawda. “Naik” must be the most common surname across the board.
It encompasses a broadcanvas: from Kashmiri Muslims (yes, Muslims), GSBs,
Kshatriyas, Vanis, Bhandaris –and at least two Catholic (Jesuit) priests I
know! An archived baptismal certificate says,“On 8-9-1734, Ganeça Naique
(Ganesh Naik), of caste Charado (Kshatriya)…”