One fine evening on FM Radio
He's got a ticket to ride, and he don't care
By Cecil Pinto

"Welcome to Rainbow FM from the studios of All India Radio, Panjim.
This is Sachin Chatte with our special guest, Cecil Pinto."

"You didn't prefix RJ to your name?"

"I don't call myself RJ Sachin. It sounds so arrogant. Like DJ Vijay.
It's not like I'm a doctor or a lawyer who had to study for many years
to qualify for the prefix."

"Quite frankly Sachin, I think even doctors and lawyers who introduce
themselves as Doctor So-and-so or Advocate So-and-so are vain little
twerps."

"Yo! Let's get this show rolling."

"Porto yo, Sachin?"

"What?"

"I said 'Come again, Sachin' in Konkani. 'Yo' means come. Like in 'Yo
baile yo', the classic Lorna –Chris song which was re-written for that
fab Nike cricket commercial."

"Wow! I've been saying "Yo!" for years and didn't know its Konkani
origins. Thanks Cecil. Aha! We have our first caller. Hello! Hello! I
can't hear you. Please speak louder."

"Sachin, you RJs can never seem to hear the callers. And we listeners
too can barely hear them. With modern technology can't this perennial
problem be solved?"

"We're live on air Cecil, be careful what you say. Hello Farell from
Fatorda. Nice to hear your voice. How are you and your sister Flavia?
What request do you have? A dedication? Ok. This goes out for regular
callers Patrick, Joe Boy, Vincy, Naseem, Daphny, Kim, Neeta, Minni and
Schubert."

"Bloody regular callers, wishing each other all the while. I think
there are just about three dozen people who listen to FM and keep
wishing each other."

"Please Cecil we're online. And no Farell, I don't have Billy Joel's
Innocent Man but I will play the Bebo Song for you.

"Most of the time you RJs play just what you want. I've heard that
Bebo Song twenty nine times this week. What's so great about frogs?
Tell me Sachin is the chronological age of your callers smaller, or
their mental age? They seem to be juvenile…"

"Hey Cecil! Give me back that mike. Oye you can't do that! Oye!"

"Good eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevening Goa. This is RJ Cecil and I'm going to
play what I bloody well want to play, and if you squeaky voiced
callers don't like it you can just shut off your cheap FM radios and
get back to your 'dhirios' for entertainment."

"Cecil I will be fired. Please don't…"

The next song goes out from the Congress Party to Churchill Alemao,
the Jim Reeves classic, He'll Have to Go. "…. Though love is blind,
make up your mind, we've got to know…"

For Francisco D'Souza from Mapusa we have Hotel Mandarin. Oops! I mean
The Eagles with Hotel California. "…Last thing I remember, I was,
running for the door. I had to find the passage back, To the place I
was before…"

Next online we have Dayanand Narvekar with a request for the Madonna
hit, "…This used to be my playground, This used to be our pride and
joy, This used to be the place we ran to, That no one in the world
could dare destroy…"

Yes Ravi Naik we have your song, The Boxer, by Simon & Garfunkel, "…I
am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told, I have squandered my
resistance for a pocketful of mumbles such are promises. Still lies
and jest and a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the
rest.  Lie-la-lie, lie-la-lie-la-lie, Lie-la-lie,
lie-la-lie-la-la-la-la-lie…"

Our next caller is Jeetendra Deshprabhu from Pernem. Sorry Jeetu,
tonight's retro-night so we can't play any Rave music for you. No
House music either. Sure I know the Rave party is at your House. No
drugs either. Ok. How about this classic, "Green Green Grass of Home",
by Tom Jones?

Wilfred D'Souza, welcome to radio FM. Sorry Doc prefixes don't matter
here. You're Willy to us. The Beatles, with "When I'm Sixty-four".
What? Can't hear you clearly. You crossed seventy-four many years
back?!

Atanasio Monserrate? Yo Babush! Lovely to have you on our show. We
have for you Abba with "Money, money, money". "…All the things I could
do, If I had a little money, It's a rich man's world…"

From Santa Cruz we have Victoria Fernandes calling. This re-worked
song goes out for you Maaaaameeee! From the Eagles, "…There's talk on
the street, its there to remind you, That it doesn't really matter
which side you're on. You're walking away and they're talking behind
you. They will never forget you till somebody new comes along. Jenny
come lately, new kid in town…"

Folks you're not going to believe who our next caller is: Pratapsingh
Rane himself. Let's keep one second silence in total irreverence. Good
eeeeeevening Seeeee Yemmm! A new song for Vishvajeet and a new
generation of Ranes. The Beatles with "…Here comes the son, here comes
the son, And I say it's all right, it's all right. Son, son, son, Here
he comes…"

Who's calling from Vasco? Rajendra Arlekar! Welcome aboard. We have
the Moody Blues for you, "…Nights in bright saffron, never reaching
the end. Letters are written, never meaning to send." Letters with
false signatures. Aha! We're joined by the man himself, Manohar
Parrikar. I have just the song for you by Boney Nem, "…Ramaya Bokuko
Ramaya abantu Ramaya, Miranda tumbala, Ho Ho Ho, Ramaya bokuko Ramaya
abantu, Ramaya Mitumbala…" Don't what it means, but you can't go wrong
with Rama when the BJP's involved. Ok a song for you as an individual?
How about Frank Sinatra's I Did It My Way, "Regrets? I've had a few,
But then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do, And saw it
through without exemption. I planned each charted course - Each
careful step along the byway, And more, much more than this, I did it
my way."

Filipe Rodrigues gets Paul Anka's I Don't Like to Sleep Alone, and yes
Joaquim Alemao we have Bee Gees belting out , "…You think that I don't
even mean, A single word I say, It's only words, and words are all I
have…" A special request for ex-Speaker Vishwas Satarkar, Nowhere Man,
by the Beatles, "… doesn't have a point of view, knows not where he's
going to…" Mickey Pacheco calling now, requesting Queen, "…Yes I'm the
great pretender, Just laughing and gay like a clown…"

And now a special requests from the ticket aspirants, Mauvin Godhino
asks for It's Now or Never by Elvis Presley. Dinanath Tarcar wants the
Carpenters classic, "…Please Mr. Postman look and see, is there a
ticket, a ticket for me...". Suresh Paraulekar wants Lobo with Goodbye
Is Just Another Word.

"Oye Sachin! Help me yaar. Why these police are shutting things down.
Oye they're handcuffing me. Sachin! Yaaar, they're carrying me away!
My last song request is for myself, the Beatles with , "…Help me get
my feet back on the ground, Won't you please, please help me?..."

---------
The column above appeared in Gomantak Times dated 22nd March 2007
======