Valmiki Faleiro writes: "(Teotonio De Souza)  uses personal anecdotes to
good effect, as at pgs.132-133:

        *On a personal note, if [laureate Umberto] Eco had a motive for
        creating his blind librarian and naming him Jorge from Burgos, I too
        may have one for discovering a Goan avatar of [Edgar Allan] Poe’s
        hero in my native village of Moira. In a bid to make a mark as
fiction
        writer, he dabbles in the pre-historic glories of the mahars,
claiming
        that they have fallen from grace due to victimization by Saraswats!
        He may run for shelter if I choose to reveal that one of my first
        cousins, a Saraswat, was married in Church to a woman from Moira
        adopted by a mahar family. He may persist in his obsession, like
        someone who insisted in convincing me that Jesus was a Brahmin,
        because his cousin, John the Baptist lived on honey and low castes
        (read locusts).*

I don't appreciate the point that Valmiki seems to be making. Does he agree
with  TS that merely because his cousin marries the adopted daughter of a
Mahar, TS gets absolved of his proclivity for toadying up to the Saraswats,
the Catholic ones at any rate? If this is what he thinks is " the Teotonio
trademark of trustworthiness" I'm not impressed.

During his recent visit to Goa at a meet organized by Goa Book Club I
questioned TS as to the reason for his bias and he came up with the lame
excuse that there were no sources and that I should take up the job of
writing the history of the Mahars. I retorted that I was a mere storyteller
and not a historian, and that historians seem to choose methodologies which
suit their biases.

Incidentally, TS is quite the typical Moidekar Bamon ganvkar: this breed is
notorious for taking potshots at people without having the courage to name
names.

Augusto