*PRESS RELEASE:*

*Wolfe unveiled as Sporting Clube de Goa’s new marquee player*

“Sporting Clube de Goa’s emblem is a lion and with the versatility of Wolfe
adding extra bite to the attack, we are hoping to create the most ferocious
formation in the I-League,” stated Sporting Clube de Goa President Peter
Vaz, after unveiling Trinidad and Tobago National team utility player
Anthony Wolfe as Sporting Clube de Goa’s new marquee signing at the Models
office in Panjim, on Thursday.

Wolfe first came under the Flaming Oranje radar when he performed
spectacularly in the second half of last season for Churchill Brothers,
where he helped them to win the Federation Cup.

“I am delighted to have signed for one of the most exciting teams in Indian
professional Football,” expressed Wolfe, moments after signing on the
dotted line for Sporting Goa.

Wolfe was part of the Trinidad and Tobago squad that qualified for the 2006
FIFA World Cup in Germany. “Going to the World Cup is a dream for any
footballer. It is an experience that I will never forget,” reasoned Wolfe.

Trinidad historically became the smallest nation to ever qualify for the
FIFA World Cup with a population of around 1.3 million people, which is
even smaller than the beautiful Indian state of Goa.

During his time with the national team Wolfe worked under legendary Dutch
Coach Leo Beenhakker, who has won titles with Real Madrid, Ajax and
Feynoord. “I have learnt so much from Beenhakker. He along with many local
Coaches has contributed a lot to football in Trinidad,” stated Wolfe.

Since making his debut against Finland in 2003, Wolfe turned out in various
positions for Trinidad including defence, midfield and attack, where he has
netted three goals along the way. He has played alongside former English
Premier League stars such as Dwight Yorke (Manchester United), Shaka Hislop
(Newcastle United) and Trinidad’s all-time leading goal scorer Stern John.

Early in his career Wolfe tasted success as he lifted the Trinidad league
title with North East Stars in 2004 and two years later finished as the
league’s joint top goal scorer with San Juan Jabloteh, before packing his
bags to ply his trade in the US.

When he was a youth, Wolfe was pretty nifty with a cricket bat also and
represented various teams, but there came a time when he had to decide to
devote full attention to football.

“Brian Lara is a massive star in my country.  I am also a huge fan of
Sachin Tendulkar. They have both broken so many records which are truly
inspiring for any sportsmen,” stated the athletic Wolfe. “I loved to play
both games, but in the end I chose football,” said the thirty year old.

Wolfe was partly persuaded to come to India after seeing fellow countrymen,
Densill Theobold who previously played for Dempo and Shillong Lajong’s
Cornel Glenn set up base in the country.

“We welcome Anthony to the Flaming Oranje and I am sure he will make an
immediate impact,” stated Sporting Goa Coach Oscar Bruzon.

*PHOTO: Sporting Clube de Goa President Peter Vaz unveiling marquee signing
Anthony Wolfe.*

--
CONNECT WITH US:

www.sportingclubedegoa.com