From: bcsabha.kal...@gmail.com

From: Avaaz.org <av...@avaaz.org>

Dear friends across India,

In less than 24 hours, we have a meeting at the Environment Ministry to discuss
saving the Western Ghats! Let's act now so that all our voices can be heard
loud and clear inside that meeting.

The Ghats are home to beautiful bulbuls, bears, tigers and other unique species
that live in it’s forests and ancient hills. Different state governments are
pushing the Ministry to dilute protection plans but the Centre has final say --
and they’ve invited us to hear our views. Let’s tell them now that we
won’t allow the Ghats to be destroyed by mining and construction lobbies. Our
pressure already got UNESCO writing to the government about protected World
Heritage sites in the Ghats. Now let’s tell the Environment Ministry directly!

Tomorrow we’ll deliver your signatures straight to Ministry officials in charge
of saving our Western Ghats along with a letter signed by leading
environmentalists. Sign now:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/environment_ministry_wants_to_hear_from_us/?tta

Relentless large-scale commercial activities in the Western Ghats  are
threatening not only the livelihoods of millions of people, but also causing
widespread ecological devastation. An expert committee reviewed the status of
the Ghats and presented a strong plan to restrict such exploitation to less
than 35% of the Ghats. But state governments are unhappy and want to rip open
the
Ghats even further, ignoring warnings on global warming. Attacking the Ghats
has direct consequences to us citizens with increasing water scarcity.

The new government says it is concerned about climate change, but it is yet to
show this in practice. It has allowed irrigation projects without the requisite
clearances, eroded democracy by taking away power from the National Board of
Wildlife and from tribal councils to oppose big corporations, and acted to
allow even more industry in critically polluted areas, among other measures.

The ancient Western Ghats are one of eight global "hottest hotspots" of
biological diversity and home to hundreds of threatened species. Only the
strongest possible plan can work to protect the Ghats against destruction. Sign
now to ensure that the Ministry hears our voices calling for the protection of
our gorgeous Ghats.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/environment_ministry_wants_to_hear_from_us/?tta

The global Avaaz community recently participated in the biggest climate march
of all time. We are mobilising to protect our planet and its resources and
governments around the world are starting to listen. By saving the Western
Ghats, not only are we securing nature and wildlife, but also the lives and
livelihoods of millions of our fellow citizens. Let’s act today, before it’s
too late.

In hope,

Alaphia, Shreya, Alex and the rest of the Avaaz team

More Information

New draft policy to save Western Ghats (Deccan Herald)
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/446960/draft-policy-save-western-ghats.html

Western Ghats: Green Tribunal asks Ministry to clarify on fresh survey
(The Hindu)
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/western-ghats-green-tribunal-asks-ministry-to-clarify-on-fresh...

Western Ghats, India (WWF)
http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/where_we_work/western_ghats/

Paradise in danger (The Hindu)
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy-and-environment/paradise-in-danger/article3812408.ece

Recommendations to save India’s Western Ghats creates political stir (Mongabay)
http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0820-hance-western-ghats-report.html

90% of coal-bearing forests could be mined, says Forest Survey of India
(Economic
Times)
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-10-06/news/54691398_1_coal-mining-coal-block-hasde...

Modi government has launched a silent war on the environment (Scroll)
http://scroll.in/article/678380/Modi-government-has-launched-a-silent-war-on-the-environment

World Heritage List (UNESCO)
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1342

Climate change in Western Ghats to hit water supply (DNA)
http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report-climate-change-in-western-ghats-to-hit-water-supply-1665817

Avaaz.org is a
40-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views
and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means
"voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the
world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in
17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us
on Facebook or Twitter.

You are getting this message because you signed "Save the Western Ghats!" on
2014-12-16 11:06:36 using the email address bcsabha.kal...@gmail.com.

To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add av...@avaaz.org to
your address book. To change your email address, language settings, or other
personal information, contact us, or simply go here to unsubscribe.To contact
Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at
www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).