--
Samir Umarye

BICHOLIM: About 50 people from Sal-Bicholim, who were earlier moved
from Tillari during the construction of the Tillari irrigation
project, on Monday went on an indefinite hunger strike in protest
against the government’s failure to fulfil their demands.
“Indefinite hunger strike is the last resort that we are forced to
carry out, as the State government has not yet done anything to fulfil
our basic demands including a connecting road to the nearby village,”
said Devidas Naik from the village.
In 2002, about 150 families were shifted from Tillari-Maharashtra to
Sal and 204 plots were reserved for them. As per the agreement, the
Maharashtra government was given land in Sal to develop and provide
all amenities to the displaced residents, before handing it over to
the Goa government.
“Dodamarg-Maharashtra is close to the plots allotted to us, but we
still don’t have a proper connecting road to Dodamarg. If this
arrangement was made, everything including a hospital, market and
school would have been close to us,” Ramesh Patil, secretary of
Tillari Dam Gram Vikas Committee, said.
“We are now part of Goa and have voting rights, but if we demand any
facilities with authorities, they bluntly tell us to forward our
demands to the Maharashtra government,” said Patil.
The residents complain that inspite of all their sacrifice the
government is not doing anything to help them. “The panchayat is not
giving us house numbers without approval from the Town and Country
Planning department, while the Irrigation department is not providing
us with the I&IV Form with our names, which has created all the
problems,” added Patil. After the hunger strike on Monday, the
irrigation officials visited the site and tried to pacify the
villagers.
Meanwhile, a special meeting has been called to discuss the issue in
the Bicholim BDO’s office on Tuesday.
It may be recalled that the displaced families had staged a three-day
hunger strike in 2010 to get their houses registered with Sal
Panchayat and about 87 houses were given house numbers. The agitators
have warned that if their demands are not met, they will continue with
their hunger strike.