Dear Friend,

Can coal thermal plants ever be clean? What is the track record of
Indian thermal plants in terms of efficiency, pollution, fly ash and
water management? What must be done to make sure that thermal power
plants in India meet energy requirements but do not cost us the
environment. These are the questions my colleagues at CSE's Green
Rating Project (GRP) have spent the last two years looking at. Our
study covers the top power companies of India, most of which have
participated voluntarily in the exercise and based on this we have
rated who is best and who is not.

We are now ready to release the environmental rating of the coal and
lignite based thermal power sector and would like to invite you to the
release function. We hope you will come.

As you may know, the green rating is an independent study, which is
based on extensive surveys of plant sites and analysis of data under
the guidance of a panel of industry and academic experts. It,
therefore, has the credibility to drive performance change. In the
past, we have rated India’s major industrial sectors including
steel, cement, automobile, chlor-alkali and pulp and paper. We have
found these ratings to be an effective tool to drive environmental
improvement in industry. We hope we will make a similar contribution
through this study.

The release is scheduled for February 21st at 4.30-6.30 pm at
Jacaranda Hall, 1st Floor, India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi
110003. Followed by HIGH TEA.

We look forward to seeing you. Please send your confirmation at
vi...@cseindia.org.

With warm regards

Sunita Narain