In Defence Of Mother Teresa by Julio Ribeiro
Monday - Mar 2, 2015
I[image: In Defence Of Mother Teresa by Julio Ribeiro]
The RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat can be hailed as the champion of Hindu culture
and religion in our country. Mother Teresa, a Catholic Nun who left her
native Albania as a young girl of eighteen and landed up in Kolkata to
teach in a Catholic school, can be hailed as a champion of the Christian
values of charity, love and compassion which are the fundamental doctrines
of Christianity. Both Mohan Bhagwat and Mother Teresa are people to be
admired for their respective commitments and devotion to worthy causes.

So when Mohan Bhagwat proclaims that Mother Teresa’s prime motive behind
her service to the destitute was not unselfish but motivated by the urge to
convert poor Hindus to Christianity we need to pause and take notice. If
his charge is proved Mother’s purported aim would devalue the virtue of a
noble cause. My own friend and ex-colleague Prakash Singh of Police Reforms
fame seconded Mohan Bhagwat’s assertion. He felt that there were many other
organizations that had done better work than Mother Teresa but the media by
highlighting only Mother Teresa’s work had wittingly or unwittingly
encouraged Christianity!

There is a grain, but only a grain, of truth in what Mohan Bhagwat and
Prakash Singh averred. Mother Teresa joined the religious life as she
believed in the teachings of Jesus Christ. There can be no doubt that she
would have liked others to believe also. But all do-gooders are motivated
by strong desires. There are thousands of them in India and some of them
could well have done more useful work than Mother Teresa’s religious
order. Baba Amte, another saint I knew, looked after lepers all his
life. He was a Hindu. But I do not know of anyone who has given up a more
traditional existence as a teacher in a school to care for the dying and
destitute beggars on the streets. Most people would just pass by such
miserable specimens without batting an eyelid! A few would feel sorry and a
few others throw a couple of coins in their direction but none would want
to touch them for fear of the dirt and the disease. Mother Teresa did just
that. Further she recruited a whole army of Christian Nuns who were put on
the job of cleaning faeces and dirt that covered these human beings. Not an
easy job by any means and certainly not one that I would like to do even if
I was paid very handsomely.

The RSS Chief and my ex-colleague are both men of principles. They, too,
want to change the world in a manner of speaking. Mohan Bhagwat was
certainly motivated by lofty ideal of service when he joined the RSS and
rose to be its chief. The demand for a Hindu Rashtra was religious as much
as it was nationalism. The degree is only a notch away from the religious
motivation of Mother Teresa. Their approach to fulfilment was obviously
different. Mother worked with her hands and her feet in the gutters of
Kolkata.   Mohan Bhagwat works from his office in Nagpur. Each was carrying
out his or her life’s mission.

Did Mother Teresa want to convert those she found on the streets and took
into her care? I doubt if those poor specimens of humanity were in any
position to understand her version of god. I doubt if Mother Teresa could
find an appropriate opportunity to preach Christianity to people who were
starving, naked and in the throes of death. Christianity would be the last
thought in their minds and surely Mother Teresa had enough sense to know
that. If Mohan Bhagwat takes a count of the beggars and the homeless
rescued by Mother Teresa or her Sisters of Charity he may be shocked to
find that none had time or patience to convert to Christianity. I am sure
there must be records available of the disposal of their mortal remains
after death. If they had converted they would have been buried. If they
were Hindus they would have been cremated and entries to that effect would
be found in the records of the Municipalities. He should have this checked.

If Mother Teresa wanted to convert those she touched and if that was her
main motive she would have continued as a teacher in a Catholic school and
tried to influence impressionable minds.   That would have been a much
easier way of converting even good Hindus to Christianity.  I doubt that,
that was her motive and I say so because she chose the hard work that
nobody else would want to do.

As Ambassador to Romania I was concurrently accredited to Albania, the
country of Mother Teresa’s origin. On one of my visits to Tirana, Albania’s
capital city, my wife and I were lunching with Reis Malile, the Foreign
Minister and his wife when a message was received that Mother Teresa was on
her way to Romania from Rome and wanted me to accompany her. The Albanian
Foreign Minister told me that they considered Mother to be their own and
his government was very keen for her to open a centre of the Missionaries
of Charity in Tirana. Their talks with her had bogged down because of
Mother’s insistence on positioning a Catholic Priest in her proposed
centre.

This was not acceptable to the Albanian government as it was officially an
Atheist State and did not allow the open practice of any religion. Reis
Malile wanted me to explain to Mother that Albania had been predominantly
Muslim before all religions were banned. If they allowed a Catholic Priest
they would also have to allow Muslim Mullas and that would open the gates
for myriad problems that they did not wish to face. When I mentioned this
to Mother she was very clear that god could be worshipped by different
people by different names and in different forms and she saw no merit in
the Albanian government’s denial of the right to worship to Muslims,
Christians or other faiths.

After the Communists were replaced and religions worship was permitted in
Albania Mother Teresa was approached by some young boys to cut the ribbon
before their entry into a Mosque which the government had earlier converted
into a museum but was now restored as a place of worship. Mother Teresa
willingly went and cut the ribbon. When I asked her about it she said that
god is one and if Muslims want to worship god it is a good thing that they
were doing and they needed to be encouraged.

I mention these two instances to clear Mohan Bhagwat’s misconception that
Mother’s sole motivation was to convert those she touched to
Christianity. I know that even the babies she cared for were given in
adoption to parents who followed the religion of the biological parents of
those babies and no attempt was made to convert. I have witnessed Mother
nursing back to dignity hundreds of ‘abandoned as lost’ Christian children
in Romania. Here there was no question of changing religions! As an Indian,
I felt proud that an Indian order of nuns was doing humanitarian work in an
European country.

I have no doubt that Mother Teresa truly believed in the god of the
Christians just as Mohan Bhagwat believes in the god of the
Hindus. Personally I believe that the god they each believe in is the
same. Only the name they each give to the one they worship is
different. Both dedicated their entire lives to upholding the divinity of
their god. If the missions and path they chose were different that is
understandable.

If some individuals got converted due to the awe and admiration that her
work and her commitment evoked I do not think that Mohan Bhagwat or my
friend Prakash Singh should or can object. If she has used force (?) or
inducement (?) that would be immoral and truly condemnable. I have full
confidence that she was incapable of using any form of violence or coercion.

 And finally, referring to my dear friend Prakash Singh’s peeve about the
foreign press publicizing only Mother Teresa’s work I will point out to him
that Kailash Satyarthi’s work with children was noticed and appreciated
first in the western world. They had honoured him abroad repeatedly, before
he received the Nobel Prize. We in India had ignored his achievements for
reasons that Mohan Bhagwat, Prakash Singh and Julio Ribeiro should attempt
to fathom!

Back
Your comment shall be published after approval of the administrator.
Comments (1)
Sarto
Tuesday - Mar 3, 2015
Mother Theresa the saint of gutters and her congregation the Missionaries
of Charity will alway be angels to the millions of destitute, dying and
despairing human beings. God bless them and their noble work.