POLITICS OF GOVERNANCE
Finance MinisterJaitely says BJP has completed one year graft free with
cooperative State federation successfully. This is not in consonance with the
gazette notification issued giving absolute powers to the LG to effectively
interfere with the elected Delhi government besides Police,Public Order and
land use! The ACB is also prevented from admitting any graft case against any
central bureaucrat posted and the CM will have no say in postings either! The
PMO has warned the CBI not to file any case suo motto. How can responsibility
and accountability remain with Delhi CM? Similarly it is reported that the
first woman Addl Director of the CBI M/s Archana Ramasundaram has been
attending office without doing any work  for over a year, since the Supreme
Court stayed her appointment by Tamilnadu Government due imposition of an
officer on CBI not approved by duly appointed Selection Committee. With no CIC
or Lokpal and no appointment of CVC, Director CBI and silencing "troublesome"
NGOs, we will definitely hear less about  big ticket graft! However, a recent
government survey pegs bribe at Rs4,400/yr per family! Prices are still high
and garbage disposal unsatisfactory.
 In Goa the new MMC chairperson in Margao has asked for councilors salary to be
hiked to Rs 30,000/- from the present Rs8,000/-, pointing to the MLAs salaries
and perks!The Deputy CM informs that mobile cancer vehicles have been left
unused for over 2 years and equipment now is beyond repair!The police just
cannot find a prominent person like Mickey Pacheco and bullets being sprayed at
stationery cars, bouncers  and heavy machinery employed stealthily during night
 at Tiracol by Leading Hotels for alleged illegal land grab and Gramsabhas
manipulated or easily by passed. A Mafioso like atmosphere seems to be
intruding into our peaceful land! Government refuses to bring in the urgently
required Police and Administrative reforms. The  whole System is built for
corruption and pandering to the VIP culture and ego of  those in power. Nobody
who is accountable and in power is generally  punished, and who but the public
helplessly suffer in more ways than one. Our PM who said he is not our Pradhan
Mantri but Pradhan Sevak and wants to bring in rapid industrialization must
heed and answer people's concerns,foster transparency and accountability, which
should take priority over one upmanship politics and percieved crony
capitalism.
John Eric Gomes
Porvorim
(Tel 2417837)