Dear All,

Reproducing an article from the NT. US based footballer Elvis Goes returns
to Goa to set up the YFO to promote football.

Adidas League kicks off with 465 children
NT Sports Reporter

Panaji, April 15 Adidas Youth Football League, the first of its kind in
India for kids belonging to U-7, U-9, U-11 and U-13 age groups, organised by
Youth Football Organisation (YFO) in collaboration with Don Bosco College
(Panaji) and promoted by Adidas - the most innovative sports brand - got
underway at Don Bosco grounds, here, today.

Replicated on the lines of American Youth Soccer Organisation's (AYSO)
programme - which is involved in development of 5-12 year old soccer kids
since 1960s - the Adidas Youth League, is the brainchild of former Goa state
footballer Elvis Goes, who is also a certified United States Soccer
Federation (USSF) 'B' and 'C' licensed coach.

The league has been launched to promote the budding football talent that
abounds in the soccer crazy state of Goa and also to provide them with an
opportunity to enjoy and get acquainted with the sport at a young age, with
their parents volunteering for them at the soccer field.

With short-sided games being a part of the youth league, which will be
spread over the next eight weeks, with games being organised only on
Sundays, children from U-6 to U-13 will be allowed to enjoy their football
under the guidance of coaches.

The Adidas League will aim to train nearly 600 children, who will be coached
using modern techniques and qualified coaches in the state, although there
are plans to initiate and replicate the concept in major metros with Mumbai
being the prime target owing to its huge populace.

"The league programme will provide the impetus the sport needs to flourish
in the state. I am confident that the league will benefit immensely from
Adidas' involvement and we will hopefully see Indian footballers, possibly
being produced from such programmes, make their presence felt on the
international arena in the future," Elvis Goes, who is also the president of
the YFO, asserted while speaking to The Navhind Times.

Infact, the first day of the league itself evinced an overwhelming response
with 465 children (70 still waiting to get registered)) in various age
groups from different parts of the state showing up with their parents at
Don Bosco grounds.

The children played short-games with tremendous enthusiasm and energy,
showing they were ready to soak into the friendly environment created by the
organisers as a total of 32 games were held today as each age category was
divided into A, B, C and D groups to accommodate the huge turn outs.

"There will be no winners though, but it will be the spirit of participation
that will be encouraged during the entire 8-week programme where kids will
be allowed to enjoy, learn and grow in the sport," Elvis informed.

"It is certainly a practical way to promote football among kids. All we need
is a pair of boots and a jersey to get started. And the game just moves on
with great enthusiasm, this a great concept," stated Mr Adhiraaj Singh,
assistant manager-sports marketing, Adidas (Gurgaon). He also commended the
efforts put in by YFO and the support extended by Don Bosco towards
initiating the league . "It's such a novel concept of football promotion
among kids and said Adidas is proud to be associated with the league," Mr
Singh added. "In fact there is tremendous scope generated to promote the
game in Goa and with such a large pool being generated on the first day
itself, the league seems to be heading in the right direction," Mr Singh
said.

The parents too had their share of comments to offer with most giving a
thumbs up for the Adidas League. Mr Roland Pereira from Tivim, who has his
son participating in the U-11 group said, "The league is a good project and
being the first of its kind I think it will help the Goan kids to get
themselves promoted into football. I just wonder whether an early start was
advisable, considering that the kids were asked to play till noon time." The
league was held from 10 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.

Another parent Mr Alex Monserratte from Divar, who came with his 12-year-old
son Alrich, said, the league was well timed as children could make use of
the summer vacation to a good use. "It is a great concept. I love the way
the kids are enjoying themselves. It's fun and one gets to learn as well,"
he said. Ms Margaret Fernandes of Siolim was also enthralled with the
response. "There are so many kids playing today. The organisers have done a
great job. I think I brought my son to the right place, he aspires to become
a footballer and this is a great summer training he can avail of," she
added.

Earlier, Goan football stalwarts Lawrence Gomes, Juliana Colaco, Rithina
Pereira, Leopold Fernandes and Maria Rebello, who represented the country
declared the league open by kicking off 5 Adidas football balls signifying
that the tradition of playing football will be carried forward by the
younger Goan generation with the goal of representing the country and may be
being a part of the future Indian team, making a World Cup representation.
Fr Willy of Don Bosco, introduced the footballers of yesteryears to the
parents and participants. Mr Kennedy D'Silva, compered. Elvis, in his
welcome address thanked the parents for turning up in large numbers with
their children. "We are all witnessing the future potential of Goan and
Indian football under one roof here," Elvis said. A parent from Mapusa who
preferred not to get his name in print, observed that the FIFA boss, Mr
Blatter ought to have been invited to Goa to kick off the unique programme
since this is the way for building Indian football. "This is the future.
This programme should awaken the sleeping giants of Indian football," he
added.

In the meanwhile, in a press note, Mr Andreas Gellner, managing director of
Adidas-India, said: "As the world's No 1 football brand, our passion is to
consistently strive to excite the youth through innovative products and
extraordinary experiences. We have been actively involved in promoting
football at the grassroot level and had a nationwide programme called
Adidas+ Challenge last year. Recently, we hosted the Adidas Liverpool
training camp in Delhi where kids were coached by the Liverpool football
legend Phil Niel. Given its rich history in football, Goa was a natural
choice to kick off this league as the state is known for its passion for
football and we hope to boost this spirit further by offering an exciting
platform to nurture young talents."