Dr UG Barad wrote on GoaNet

[This "Heir Virus" has already infected our Goan politics. Five family
members of congress party in Goa have filled in their forms indicating their
stake in the upcoming assembly election. MGP has already given their party
tickets to brothers for coming election.  I wander on what basis congress
party will say no to Rane, Monserrate, Narvenkar, and others?
I personally feel this is a serious issue of our politics. We might have no
control or say in party affairs but we definitely have the final say in
deciding for Heirs or not! Let party decide what they want but we as a voter
must put a stop to dynasty regime OR else the dynasty rule which was
prevailing in India & Goa before British and Portuguese rule respectively
will start once again which will prove quite detrimental to our Goa.]

jose colaco's response to Dr. Barad's quite excellent post

Dr UG Barad makes a good point about 'Heir Politics' which existed prevailed
'in India & Goa before British and Portuguese rule respectively'.

Let's face it however: Is there something called a Democracy?

Yes, every 5 years or so, the populace is urged to vote. Promises are made,
Food and Feni flows and notes are distributed.

Then, those who hitherto said ...."Never", meekly surrender their vote.
Those who are opposed to 'The same old faces' and to the politics of
'electability' ... refuse to vote in fresh faces eg Goa SuRaj.

Ask them why they would not. They will answer: "because they will not get
one vote/seat in the election" And so they go on and on and on.

When their 'favourite party' does something, they will take the vow of
silencio.
When the party they oppose does the very same thing, they will make bow wow
wow.

When somebody respectable joins the party they oppose, they will write
letters
urging the person not to jump into the 'septic tank' or thereabouts.
When somebody reminds them that politics in Goa has in fact become a septic
tank,
they say ... I am discussing politics with you No Mas.

But let's face it: WHY is it that the "party" is able to get away with "heir
politics"?
Because the bosses are not the people in Goa but the folks in party HQs most
usually
in Delhi.

No wonder honest and Goaphilic individuals like Tony Correia Afonso are
never likely
to be elected in Goa unless they toe the "party line"

BTW: does anyone believe that the Escola Medica building will be made into a
repository
for the tremendous work record of the Escola doctors ?
That would NOT be according to the plan ....would it?

That would be giving credit to whom it is due i.e. the Portuguese.
Now ... that wouldn't be in the interest of the "folks" ...would it?

No wonder, it was handed over to some third party which ran a film festival
from there.
And 'our friends' maintained their silencio

Till the same third party decided to make poixe out of it by having a
shopping mall.
Then 'our friends' started jumping all over the fence ...Rightly, mind you.

But are they willing to fight for the Heritage of the Escola?
Unlikely.

That will mean that the filmwallas and wallis will have to be shunted out.
And we cannot have that ...can we?
Nope. it's better to maintain the line that "We iz doing the best"!

jc

CONVENTION OF THE GOAN DIASPORA FROM GOA INTO THE WORLD
Lisbon, Portugal June 15-17, 2007 Details at:
http://www.goacom.org/casa-de-goa/noticias.html