Dear Wendell,

The issue is not so much about the *film*, as about the way history gets
depicted in our parts of the world (and I guess elsewhere too). These myths
go beyond films and are consistently celebrated in daily life too. Aakar
Patel might have done a good job by questioning it in a rather articulated
way.

Feature films and fictionalised films have every right to create myths; but
history doesn't. Questionable versions can be challenged, and should be.

In today's Goa, Shivaji is treated as a hero. Wonder what he meant to
villagers of another era living  along the then 'international border' in
places like your Colvale, Tivim, Siolim or Aldona. That reality our
ancestors of another generation might have a story about; but do they have
the voice to do so? If we portray him as someone out to save a religion,
then we're setting misleading terms of discourse.

Your justification about history being "tweaked" doesn't seem to hold much
water, given that this is promoted by a supposedly secular state, and it
has serious implications for current day religious infighting. If
politicians want to ascend power based on religious infighting, we might
not be able to stop them... but at least we should not justify them.

Happy Good Governance day!

FN

On 24 December 2015 at 19:11, Wendell Rodricks <wendellrodri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is a sumptuous film.
> And the director has every right to create his version as he has many
> factors to consider from investors to the public making the movies hit.
> Those that want to portray another Bajirao are free to do so. Not that I am
> carrying a candle for the film nor Hindi cinema staying  truthful to
> history. The end was a sob drama for janta consumption, who doesn't like
> lovers who die or killed off at the end?, It has been done ad nauseum in
> poetry, literature, film
> As for a great Hindu nationalist, history is written and tweaked depending
> who is writing it.
> In my research for Moda Goa, it was as if. history writers were writing
> about different events depending on the victorious or loosing sides
> At this time of Hindu pride,it is natural for some to push the cause for
> Hindu Nationalism

Goanet annual year-end meet in Goa: if you're reading this, you're
eligible to join us! Dec 28, 2015 @ 11 am Fundacao Oriente, Panjim
Confirm your participation with a short email to goa...@goanet.org
  • ... Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
    • ... Wendell Rodricks