OHeraldo  — Jan 4, 2016

Course correction vital for Goa’s economic recovery
by Eugene Correia

Reflecting on the year that just passed by, I couldn’t help recollecting
the term annus horribilis , the Latin phrase that the Queen brought to bear
when describing the year 1992 in a speech on the 40th anniversary of her
ascension to the Throne. I thought it can be aptly applied to Goa for the
events and circumstances that filled 2015. It was a year of wrecked hopes,
broken dreams and unfulfilled promises. It’s been topsy-turvy.
I couldn’t be far off the point in saying that the centre too had a curvy
run. It could be political coincidence that the BJP is ruling at the centre
as well as in Goa. In fact, there’s some pride for Goa in creating a new
government when the BJP convention in Goa selected Narendra Modi as the
candidate for prime minister. As they say, the rest is history. The man
wildly discredited for a sorry and shameful episode in India’s communal
history, the Gujarat carnage, has been propelled to the highest political
office in the country.
One cannot discount that Modi has legion of supporters, and one just has to
troll the social media websites to watch these so- called Modi bakths go
into topspin to critique and lambast those who point out Modi and BJP’s
faults.
The worlds of Twitter and Facebook have become happy playgrounds for the
triggerhappy people. So much so, that there are thousands of jokes created
in the span of Modi’s coming to power. It’s fun to read the battle-of-words
between the two sections of the politically-conscious Indians — those in
favour of BJP and those in favour of Congress — as they spare no
opportunity to humiliate and castigate each other. Just check what’s
trending on Modi on Twitter.
>From Make in India to Cowboy Modi to Chai pe Charcha to Selfie King to
Rockstar, the tags are growing and Modi’s popularity is soaring. He romps
the world, meeting world leaders and wooing leading businessmen and
investors for his “ Make in India” vision, while also smooching with
diaspora Indians.
As each Goan looks at it, Modi could have done Goa a favour by taking
Manohar Parrikar to Delhi to be in charge of India’s defence or he could
have done harm to Goa by his act. As some see it, Parrikar’s innings in Goa
were good while his distractors felt Parrikar had played too much with the
state’s political structure that he often scored self- goals. He often
shocked people by running straight and suddenly making an about-turn. No
wonder he got the label of Master of U- turns.
Unfortunately, Parrikar’s shadow still looms large over Goa. True, he’s the
son-of-thesoil but one expected him to keep himself at arm’s length on the
political administration of Goa since he’s no longer the Boss. He still
pulls strings from Delhi. For him, Goa is just a plane away. And now that
he has his dream project, DEFEXPO, to be held in South Goa in March, and
his Mopa airport is most likely to take off despite his promise in 2012 to
have it ready in three years’ time, Parrikar’s presence in Goa is virtually
assured as long BJP continues to have its hold on the state. Besides,
Parrikar’s quest to make Goa a permanent site for the expo by demanding
land has earned him brickbats but it has also gained him more leverage in
the BJP set-up.
It’s long range though, for the 2017 election will decide the fate of
Parrikar’s ambitious project.
Goa went through its worst phase last year and the BJP has lost some of its
sheen for the political shenanigans and for the decline in law and order
situation.
The mining imbroglio hasn’t been fully settled and tourism has received a
kick in its butt. Goa isn’t exactly rolling on its belly, but the impact of
these two money- making engines have diluted the exchequer to a point of
deep concern. The battle on the mining front is still wide open, and it
remains to be seen if mining is renewed by meeting the terms and conditions
of the Supreme Court.
As for providing tourism the necessary boost and oxygen to revitalize
itself, it would be better to get the Master Plan into action. For too
long, this piece of paper is hanging fire. The stakeholders must get their
heads together to iron out the wrinkles and set the ball in motion before
it’s too late. Since tourism suffered last year, one can expect it to
further lose its potential and vitality. Goa had got too much of bad
publicity not in just the local media or the Indian media but in the
international press. The travails in the tourist department may also make
tourism lose its glitter. There are other cheaper and much healthy
destinations on the horizon for the low- to medium- budget traveller.
In the midst of tourism downtown, it’s hard to understand why there’s a
need for an elite golf course at Tiracol. Please leave this pristine area
alone, lest it becomes another Calangute or Candolim.
I have seen these two famous tourist venues go downhill from their virgin
status to a much raped and abused tourist spots. I lived among the hippies
to understand them as much as young Pedros and Ladros were studying the
anatomies of white female bodies. The Vagator of then is now a spoilt area.
Looking at Morjim and the ramshackle houses made me wonder if that was what
Goa was becoming. From a tourist pie that was sweet and tasty like our
beloved bebinca Goa has slowly turned into a depleted zone. In fact, the
coastal belt in both South and North Goa presents a sorry spectacle of
neglect and poor planning. I have links with two of Goa's beach-villages,
Colva and Bogmalo, and have seen how they have changed from my young days.
I want progress but controlled progress that doesn't impinge on the natural
beauty of the land.
Some years ago I met the tourism minister, Dilip Parulekar, in Dubai for
the travel show. He seemed to be an angry man who hated the NGOs which were
fighting to save Goa’s lands and environment. Before him, I had also met
Dr. Wilfred D’Souza and the late minister was missing in action for most of
the time at the travel show. These travel shows seems to have become travel
jaunts for the ministers but, in practical terms, the rewards are much less
for the efforts.
In the late 80s, I suggested to the late minister Luis Proto Barbosa,
during his visit to Toronto, to go to the Toronto Harbourfront area as well
check out the Ontario Place, two of the finest tourist sites, and try and
emulate something on these lines. My plea fell on deaf ears.
Making Goa into another Singapore, and whatever other grandiose plans the
government is thinking about are like pies in the skies. Heritage tourism
is a select package while sun-and-sea tourism appeals to the common world-
traveller. Baiting high-end tourists have been Goa’s aim but it’s seems
like a mirage. Medical tourism is a no-no for Goa, for someone like me had
a bitter lesson dealing with an high-end medical hospital. Goa must seek a
midway between the high and the low, between the rave parties and
sunbathing, between golfing and sea-bashing. Somewhere between these
options lie the route Goa tourism must take. I need to read the master plan
and see what remedies it offers for Goa’s tourism to take a flight into
profitability while sustaining Goa’s cultural ethos and moral spirit.
On a concluding note, I saw Goa closely in 2015 and wasn’t happy with the
journey the state was going on. I wish the course is changed drastically
this year, perhaps deserving a U-Turn, and the ruling party restores the
confidence of the people.
( Eugene Correia is a senior journalist.)

==

Eugene