Dear Press and Media community (165+ recipients in Bcc):

Here is our detailed GITP feedback on our latest Goa IT Policy beyond the
summary we had published earlier on 04-Jan-2016 shown below this mail. This
feedback is also being forwarded to the Goa government for their reference
and consideration as appropriate in subsequent IT Policy revisions. For any
clarifications you may reach out to any of our Core Team members marked in
Cc on this mail with their contact numbers given below:
*Gurudev Naik *(President) - 91672 60039
*Yash Ganthe* (Vice President) - 98224 75519
*Vincent Toscano* (Vice President) - 97654 10020
*Amogh Desai *(Secretary) - 98231 44405
*Gaurish Kambli *(Treasurer) - 99227 88878
*Inacio Fernandes* (Executive Committee Member, Goa Skills Registry Lead) -
97301 47785
*Sangeeta Naik* (Executive Committee Member, Project GEIT Lead) - 88051
62600

The recently unveiled Goa IT Investment Policy 2015-20 is definitely a
respectable and realistic start “*provided”* it is effectively implemented
without added complications to the beneficiaries and with a proactive
pursuit of and support to suitable companies to generate IT/ITES/ESDM
employment in Goa in a time-bound manner. If these results are not produced
by this government before the next assembly elections then it would just be
one more of our farcical Goa IT Policies and a big fat black mark on this
government’s record for all the time it has lost in just getting the paper
policy out despite its own promise to do so within 6 months of coming to
power 4 years ago. Educated Goans, especially the Goan startups who have
been struggling for survival and Goans in forced exile due to the man-made
dearth of modern jobs in Goa, cannot be fooled with just a paper policy and
hence immediate proactive action with tangible time-bound results is a
necessity for this government to salvage its credibility.

Recent appointment of a highly competent IAS officer, Ameya Abhayankar, as
the Director of IT should help the government produce these results,
provided he is enabled and empowered by his political bosses to get the
right things done on a war footing now. GITP is pleased with his
appointment since he was among the top 2 recommendations we had made to the
Chief Minister, Laxmikant Parsekar, when we had demanded replacement of his
non-productive predecessor Director of IT.

*GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS POLICY:*

1)      A practical set of relevant incentives for an IT/ITES/ESDM company
despite the delicate financial situation of Goa which is commendable.

2)      Good to see incentivized encouragement for employment of Goan
locals by investing companies. This is always a top priority for GITP.

3)      Thumbs up to government’s declaration of setting up Incubation
Centres across Goa! GITP keenly awaits government’s action plan on this as
this could be the game changer for Goans to prosper in Goa especially given
the related incentives of Rs.2 lakh seed capital and virtually free
internet and rental for the first 5 years at such Incubation Centres.

4)      Also good to see promotion of the GITP-proposed “IT Anywhere”
concept with incentives around stamp duty, local employee salaries,
electricity and internet but a wholesome incentive coverage as available to
the notified area companies would have been impactful. Nevertheless, the
proposed incentives should encourage state-wide dispersed creation of
employment without excessive congestion in the notified areas and cities
through local start-ups. A lot more could have been done here as was
proposed by GITP for aggressive economic upliftment of our Goan villages
but probably that needs to wait till the next policy revision.

5)      Extension of policy incentives to the already existing units is
well deserved and was one of GITP’s major callouts.

6)      Chief Minister heading the Empowered Committee comprising the
governmental movers and shakers should help ensure quick decisions and
results in next few months. However greater representation from among
industry luminaries on this Committee would have helped Goa make up for the
lost 2 decades and aspire to be a major Innovation Hub of India in the next
5-10 years.

*COULD-HAVE-BEEN-BETTER THINGS ABOUT THIS POLICY:*

1)      These 2 sections of the Policy document are disappointing:

a)    Strategies: shallow and mostly unchanged from the draft version.

b)    Plan of Action: seen in the earlier draft IT Policy document but
missing in final version.

Here the government could have articulated its high-level specifics and
commitments on how it intends to achieve its policy vision and objectives
with a wholesome approach on various aspects relevant to its long term
success viz. a think-tank platform for an enabler network and regular IT
Policy enhancements; education system revamp for industry-specific skills
development; workforce mobilization; efficient infrastructure; ease of
doing business; environmental sustainability etc. This would have relayed
concrete confidence to the target investor audience. GITP had made many
related recommendations and is disappointed to see the lack of substance in
these sections. Hopefully these can be addressed in the actual
presentations and subsequent policy revisions.

2)      The overall simplification of doing IT/ITES/ESDM business in Goa
and time-bound discharge of the promised incentives as a result of this
policy remains unclear. GITP hopes the required measures would be
expeditiously defined and implemented online for efficiency and
transparency by the government.

3)      Incentives for Patent Filing have been totally missed out despite
GITP recommendation. It would have encouraged IPR (Intellectual Property
Rights) awareness and generation from Goa which would have been a matter of
great pride for our state especially given India’s poor track record
compared to other countries.

4)      LAND RELATED INCENTIVES section has missed linking land allotment
to employment generation criteria which can result in land hoarding with no
gain towards the vision of this policy.

5)      LAND USE EXEMPTIONS could have allowed a higher FAR than the
currently provisioned 2.0 given Goa’s land resource constraints. GITP had
proposed 2.5 versus the draft policy’s 1.5.

6)      Even though the policy refers to Goa’s “world-class fibre optics
broadband network infrastructure” its actual effectiveness remains
questionable as GITP has witnessed first-hand through its Project GEIT in 3
Goan villages. This needs to be addressed on a war footing by the
government. Besides the overall private sector provided broadband
connectivity remains patchy throughout Goa despite our high tele-density.
Would have helped to incentivise this in the policy to encourage private
sector’s contribution on this essential infrastructure element.

7)      Given the current perception disadvantage afflicting Goa regarding
IT/ITES industry it would have helped if representation at reputed
exhibitions by Goan IT companies was incentivized as was recommended by
GITP.

8)      No incentives nor expression of intent to facilitate/encourage the
return of experienced professionals of Goan origin back to Goa. This is a
disappointment given the 10,000+ such Goans working in the Indian and
global IT/ITES/ESDM industry who can give a tremendous boost to the nascent
Goan IT industry with their national and international experience.

9)      Given its rich bio-diversity Goa is ideally suited for Green and
Sustainability centric campus setups like research centres, corporate
training centres etc. GITP had recommended incentivizing this but is
missing in the policy.

10)   Successive Goa governments have had many failures and scams regarding
IT projects executed by incompetent and fraudulent external vendors while
the 200+ Tech startups in Goa are serving clients across the globe. Yet,
and despite GITP’s detailed recommendations, there is no IT policy
encouragement/consideration for Goan IT startups for Goa government’s IT
projects which is disappointing.

11)   Clarity on Non-compliance Safeguards is missing which might lead to
misuse of this policy especially given the prized Goan land in the current
times.

12)   Incentives seen in draft version but missing in final policy are:

a)     REIMBURSEMENT ON SKILL GAP TRAININGS: missing despite a claimed
Strategy in the final policy being, “Create industry-ready skilled &
technical manpower.”

b)     EARLY BIRD SPECIALS FOR FIRST THREE IT/ITES/ESDM UNITS: with the
employment-linked incentives proposed by GITP this could have been used to
quickly attract early investors into Goa given the policy’s objective of
generating 15,000 IT/ITES/ESDM and related jobs in Goa (though sans a
time-frame commitment which is disappointing).

c)      PERFORMANCE AND OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION AWARD: with the
employment-linked incentives proposed by GITP this could have been
effectively used towards the government’s employment generation target.

d)     INCENTIVES ON CASE TO CASE BASIS: this could have been used to
encourage large-scale employment generation towards the government’s
targets.

In conclusion, though this policy lacks the audacity and depth that it
deserved given Goa’s decades-late start in the IT/ITES/ESDM space and Goa’s
inherent potential to be the Innovation Capital of India, GITP believes it
is better to have a simple, practical start and improvise along the way.
GITP hopes the missed opportunities highlighted above and those that will
surface along the way hereon will be considered by the authorities to truly
make IT/ITES/ESDM the economic game changer for the state of Goa.

GITP, besides other like-minded bodies, continues to proactively support
the government machinery in pursuing IT/ITES/ESDM investment opportunities
and related matters aligned to its objective of enabling Goans to prosper
in Goa. GITP looks forward with great expectations and wishes the Goa
government the very best in effective implementation of this IT Policy.

Regards,
Goa IT Professionals
www.goaitpro.org

--