Sexuality & Gender & Goa

Recently I had the pleasure of watching three intellectuals exchange views
on sexuality, gender and Goa. The panel discussion was interesting although
I was a little disappointed on one count: sexuality is a subject which is
understood by human beings irrespective of their educational background.

Nirad Chaudhuri, the great indian writer in English, observed a long time
ago how the Indian mind is full of sex and the heart full of fear. A good
mix of intellectuals and blue collar workers would make for a nice cocktail
as the discussion, in my opinion, probably would have been more interesting
and lively. Intellectuals tend to have sex on the brain unlike people who
use their hands and feet and even dirty them the way farmers do in the
fields in their quest to make a living. They are, in short, more earthy.
For these people sex is a highly localized phenomenon.

Intellectuals no doubt can contribute to the intellectual aspects of sex
and gender, legal, social, and other. But the freedom of the
not-so-schooled and unschooled and untamed is not something we can afford
to ignore or even look down our noses. In this fertile field, D.H. Lawrence
has covered a large area of turf albeit in England and a while ago. All the
same his at-one-time infamous novel Lady Chatterly's Lover does provide us
with an important searchlight however dim in the Indian context regarding
sexuality and gender. People who are interested in the subject of sex and
gender in the Indian context can learn a lot from it as a comparative study
of England at the time and the India of today.

Indian and Hindu culture today undoubtably have  been influenced by British
and Muslim attitudes towards sex over the last few centuries. People who
think otherwise need to debate the issue but there is no doubt a lot of
historical evidence for all to see.

Nowadays, unfortunately, politicians and self-appointed gurus present their
personal views on sexual mores as though it is the government's official
policy. All this is done in the name of nationalism and is highly
prejudicial and selective but good for a laugh which is healthy and should
be welcomed! It is of course also ridiculous. Sex and society is a complex
topic. Gay sex, for some people, is a sin and for other people it is
natural. What to do?

Panel discussions should be made up of people of a cross section of society
. Whenever someone expresses a negative view it is necessary to make sure
the audience gets to hear or read a positive side. This is important as we
are able to highlight the great diversity of opinions in our country on
sexuality and gender. Otherwise it allows people like Pramod Muthalik and
his ilk to present their views as though they are spokesmen for a
monolithic Indian ethos which is completely false.

The media needs to limit the scope of politicians and gurus who are
self-appointed guardians of Goan and Indian morality. They are not
representatives, and this charade has to be stopped immediately. When a
Muthailik is given space to air his views equal space should also be given
to other people to ridicule him.

This is good, constructive, and creative as it will strengthen Indian
democracy immensely.