From: b sabha <bcsabha.kal...@gmail.com>

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Smartphones-free-up-brain-space-but-ruin-memory-UK-study/articleshow/53742382.cms
Smartphones free up brain space but ruin memory: UK study - Times of
India<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Smartphones-free-up-brain-space-but-ruin-memory-UK-study/articleshow/53742382.cms>
timesofindia.indiatimes.com
Ease of accessing online contents through smartphones, tablets and laptops can
free up brain space, but it makes harder to remember details when unaided,
affecting our ability to recall information, British researchers said today.

LONDON: Ease of
accessingonline<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Asus-Zenfone-3-price-leaks-online-ahead-of-official-launch/articleshow/53737245.cms>
 contents
throughsmartphones<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/smartphones>,
tablets and
laptops<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/tablets-and-laptops> can free
up brain space, but it makes harder to remember details when unaided, affecting
our ability to recall information, British researchers said today.

Growing options of
wirelessdevices<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/-August-security-patch-for-Nexus-devices-starts-rolling-out/articleshow/53505564.cms>
 such as smartphones, tablets and laptops can free-up mental resources by
outsourcing unnecessary tasks to the gadgets.

However, their scientific evidence also found the ease of access to
online<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Robust-hashing-could-be-new-tech-tool-to-fight-terror-online/articleshow/53391740.cms>
 searches is making it harder for humans to remember information without the
help of a computer.

"Remembering your shopping list or an appointment is not the most effective use
of your cognitive resources and if you can be reminded of that task it frees-up
more space which can be used for a number of things," said Sam
Gilbert<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Sam-Gilbert>, a research
fellow in cognitive neuroscience at University College
London<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/University-College-London> and
one of the authors of the review published in 'Trends in Cognitive Sciences'.

This so-called "cognitive offloading" or the use of tools to reduce the demand
on our brains should strengthen our memories but other studies the experts
considered showed
technologies<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Ford-Baidu-invest-150-million-in-self-driving-technology-company/articleshow/53726599.cms>
 are affecting our ability to remember details.

Latest Comment
Oh!narasarao

Research into sat-navs showed drivers who used Global Positioning
System<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Google-is-working-on-a-new-operating-system-Fuchsia/articleshow/53720527.cms>
 remembered less about their journeys and struggled to complete the routes
again when unaided.

[http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/53723426.cms]
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Smartphone-makers-you-are-launching-too-many-models-feel-customers/articleshow/53723426.cms>
Smartphone makers, you are launching too many models feel customers
Another study into the use of digital
cameras<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/computing/3-surprising-ways-your-smartphone-can-be-used-to-spy-on-you/articleshow/53719825.cms>
 showed those who took pictures in museums could not recall as many details
about exhibits as those who did not.

"There is a clear need to better understand how offloading demands onto various
technologies impact on our organic abilities both in the short - and
long-term," the review added.