CONVENTION OF THE GOAN DIASPORA FROM GOA INTO THE WORLD
Lisbon, Portugal June 15-17, 2007 Details at:
http://www.goacom.org/casa-de-goa/noticias.html

CHRISTIANS THREATENED: CONVERT TO ISLAM OR DIE

The same threatening letter was sent to Christian
communities in Charsadda and Mardan, ordering the
closure of churches and conversion to Islam within 10
days on pain of execution. The police are treating it
as a joke. The bishop of Islamabad has expressed deep
fear and called for the support of the government the
world.

05/11/2007

Islamabad (AsiaNews) – Convert to Islam within 10 days
and shut down all the country’s churches: the
ultimatum was delivered in a threatening letter that
Muslim fundamentalists sent to Christian communities
in Charsadda and Mardan, in northern Pakistan. If
their orders are not obeyed, “all Christians will be
executed”.

The letter was sent on 7 May to local churches, who
immediately took it to the police. Feroz Shah,
district inspector of Charsadda, said he had
investigated the matter. For him, it’s a “joke”, and
so “there is no need to make any arrests” Christians,
he added, “are safe and well protected” in the area.

Mgr Anthony Lobo, bishop of Islamabad-Rawalpind i,
does not share the inspector’s view. He told AsiaNews:
"This letter is not a joke, but a threat that needs to
be taken seriously. It has left the Christian
community of Pakistan very frightened. We have already
appealed to higher powers in the country to ask for
help and we will continue to do so."

The bishop said it was important "to understand that
even jokes, if aimed at minorities, could become
reality. Even if this letter is the work of an
isolated madman, it’s possible that he may commit some
atrocity against Christians."

The bishop added: “Now we must pray, but we cannot
stop at that. We have already protested against this
situation of fear and uncertainty and we will continue
to do so. In the meantime, I appeal to the world to
help us in this dangerous struggle against
fundamentalism.”

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
Goanet recommends, and is proud to be associated with,
'Domnic's Goa' - A nostalgic romp through a bygone era.
This book is the perfect gift for any Goan, or anyone
wanting to understand Goa. Distributed locally by
Broadway, near Caculo Island, Panjim & internationally
by OtherIndiaBookStore.Com. For trade enquiries contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED]