Fred,

Thank you for the link. It is very well researched article on the differences
between Aadhar and Social Security. However, the only valid argument AGAINST
the wide use of Aadhar number seems to be concerning privacy. To most educated
people, privacy is a huge deal. I did not know that India does not have privacy
laws.

People should send in strong representation to the Central government that
without strong privacy laws, implementation of the Aadhar number should be
restricted only to investments, banking, insurance, payroll, purchase of big
ticket items such as real-estate, purchase of precious elements (such as
platinum, gold and silver), taxes and to social programs offered by the
government.

I can understand why some people are opposed to this system. Believe me, if
implemented with proper checks and balances concerning privacy, this tool could
arguably be the best thing that India ever embraced since independence. The
applications of such a system are enormous. One can easily develop cashless
system where every hard earned rupee is accounted for and there would be no
room for kickbacks.

In a chaotic place like India, where fraud and kickbacks are a norm, this tool
could help bring down corruption, the use of black money and ramp up tax
collection. This is all good for the country.

Currently, most people in India do not pay their fair share in taxes. India
badly needs a tool to combat this problem.

Jim.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 21:35:26 +0530, Frederick FN Noronha *  फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या
* فريدريك نورونيا  <fredericknoron...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know where you got that idea from, Jim, but there are a lot of
> vital differences
>
> Read:
> https://scroll.in/article/823570/despite-the-comparisons-indias-aadhaar-project-is-nothing-like-americas-social-security-number
>
> Personally, I felt the Anupam Saraph,-Usha Ramanathan talk (link posted
> earlier on Goanet), raises a whole lot of vital issues that cannot be
> wished away.
>
> FN
>
> On Wednesday, 29 March 2017, Jim Fernandes <amigo...@runbox.com> wrote:
>

> > The concept of Aadhar card is a copy of American system called Social
> > Security card but with a few differences.
> >
> > In the US, almost every aspect of your life is tied to this unique number.
> > This includes federal taxes, state taxes, Social Security payments,
> > banking, investments, health, insurance, mortgages etc. This is the basis
  • ... Stephen Dias
    • ... Jim Fernandes
      • ... Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا
        • ... Jim Fernandes
    • ... Marshall Mendonza
      • ... valley faleiro