America's Cognitive Dissonance
Cognitive Dissonance (CD) is defined as the ability to hold contradictory
beliefs, ideas or values.  In short, CD is "to have one's cake and eat it,
too."  American politicians, editors and pundits of all shades of persuasions
and on both the right and the left of the political spectrum are totally
against foreign intervention in American elections - Naturally!
Yet the above same individuals are comfortable and totally nonchalant about our
interference in BREXIT - an issue that may affect the very existence of the UK,
and its political and economic relations with the European Union (EU).  Our
president and ambassador to UK have openly cajoled British politicians and
threatened the UK with canceled trade deals depending on how and for whom they
vote on BREXIT and in European parliamentary elections.  This week, with our
president visiting Europe, we see an acute exacerbation of our CD.
The Europeans are confused and bemused by the hue-and-cry of Americans when we
protest "foreign interference" in our elections, while we flagrantly (overtly
and covertly) intervene in their elections, including election in the Ukraine
and perhaps even in Russia.  Our State Department, academic and foreign policy
think-tanks, and prominent politicians issue "protest notes and threats" with a
wink-and-a-nod, more as a sop for domestic consumption and to satisfy their
voting base.  Presidential candidate Trump said it best and pointedly on
several issues, "And we do the same."

Regards, GL