It is  a thought provoking issues that also set me thinking. A number of Goan
English dailies seem to  provide  ample space and favour  letter writers from
outside  the state and far beyond.  Extensive  coverage and regular  publicity
appears to enhance the popularity of local dailies , giving the impressions of
wider circulation.The truth is that such places do not have the outreach of
circulation  of Goan dailies .The writers i believe scout the internet for
their published views and do not  even  subscribe to the dailies, wherein they
enjoy constant exposure The content is not the point of discussions, but the
moot  question is whether the  reserved space or columns go blank because of
lack of contributions from locals for whom the local dailies exists, There can
be some space devoted to international and national readers views  sometimes
but frequently featuring their views  deserves serious re considerations.  I
believe  that they hardly  are  patronised by papers in the place of their
habitat
It is not a parochial attitude but regular and frequent exposure , excluding
local contributors needs a rethink. Let better sense prevail and encourage
local and  new  writers to express It also appears that some  writers are like
correspondents of dailies finding almost daily exposure which is undesirablein
public   interests. No dailies around  many countries  decrease this precious
space, which is most popular with readers for any reasons nor   press takes a
holiday on Sundays. It is the forum where public can air their grievances
common to others, who might not air them. I express these thoughts after much
hesitation and reluctance knowing well too  that it will be fodder for waste
paper basket Fortunately the social media platform is providing an alternative
wherein the members are in thousands. There were times when letter writers were
provided a complimenatry copy of the daily featuring their views. A foreign
paper wrote back stating that the views are long but not to be discouraged and
continue to express Such courtesies are not part of our culture  The reserved
space  has to be filled and hence the paper is not doing any special  is
favour to writers anyway Some writers   undoubtedly  enjoy readers appreciation
because of feed back they receive
Nelson Lopes Chinchinim
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone