It is today one of the most famous Brazilian songs of all time, synonymous with
its singer Carmen Miranda.

Written by Vicente Paiva and Jararaca in 1937, it gained international
visibility in 1940 when performed as a marching song by Carmen Miranda on
Broadway in the play ‘Down Argentine Way’. It was taken into every American
home when connected to the Tom and Jerry and I Love Lucy cartoon television
shows.

The song was performed in the 2016 Olympics Closing Ceremony at the Macaraña
Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.

The song struck a chord in most Goan homes from Portuguese times because of the
language connection and it continues to be included in every singalong medley
with En Costa Tua Cabeciña, ABC de Coração and the Konkani Mando evergreens.

Here is a modern dance video interpretation by T-Rio, a Brazilian musical group
of triplet sisters Thaina, Thayana and Thaisa of the song in 2004 from their
album Choopeta.

https://youtu.be/7xUZSEuMV_I

Roland.
Toronto.