The following book is a must-read if you want to understand the America in
which Trump operates:

Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500 year history by Kurt Andersen.

Here is a good review of the book:

"In this sweeping, eloquent history of America, one of our sharpest observers,
Kurt Andersen, demonstrates that what's happening in our country today--this
strange, post-truth, 'fake news' moment we're all living through--is not
something entirely new, but rather the ultimate expression of our national
character and path. America was founded by wishful dreamers, magical thinkers,
and true believers, by impresarios and their audiences, by hucksters and their
suckers. Believe-whatever-you-want fantasy is deeply embedded in our DNA. Over
the course of five centuries--from the Salem witch trials to Scientology to the
Satanic Panic of the 1980s, from P.T. Barnum to Hollywood and the
anything-goes, wild-and-crazy sixties, from conspiracy theories to our fetish
for guns and obsession with extraterrestrials--our peculiar love of the
fantastic has made America exceptional in a way that we've never fully
acknowledged. With the gleeful erudition and tell-it-like-it-is ferocity of a
Christopher Hitchens, Andersen explores whether the great American experiment
in liberty has gone off the rails. From the start, our ultra-individualism was
attached to epic dreams and epic fantasies--every citizen free to believe
absolutely anything, or to pretend to be absolutely anybody. Little by little,
and then more quickly in the last several decades, the American
invent-your-own-reality legacy of the Enlightenment superseded its more sober,
rational, and empirical parts. We gave ourselves over to all manner of crackpot
ideas and make-believe lifestyles designed to console or thrill or terrify us.
In Fantasyland, Andersen brilliantly connects the dots that define this
condition, portrays its scale and scope, and offers a fresh, bracing
explanation of how our American journey has deposited us here. Fantasyland
could not appear at a more perfect moment. If you want to understand the
politics and culture of twenty-first-century America, if you want to know how
the lines between reality and illusion have become dangerously blurred, you
must read this book."
Roland.
Toronto.