If you read of mankind’s efforts to deal with the looming disaster of climate
change, you will see the amazing likeness to more than one one of Shakespeare’s
tragi-comedy-farce plays. It’s a tragedy. We are dealing with it in farcical
ways and the whole thing is one bloody comedy.

Take for example the notion of carbon credits. You buy them from some company
or country that is making sincere anti pollution efforts and you use them to
meet the restrictions imposed on you while continuing to pollute as merrily as
you did before.

Then look at the timelines you have set yourself. Instead of the next 5 or 10
years, you are looking at 2050 in some vague, undefined promises. Meanwhile
hurricanes, droughts, flooding and every other nightmarish scenario that nature
dreams up, continue with evermore force and destruction.

The simple reason for all this watering down and procrastination is that each
one fears for the economic consequences of doing their part. Australia thinks
it can hide away in a global corner pretending they have other more pressing
problems. The US with their political system cannot agree on even how to
provide their poorer citizens with better health care and financial and housing
security let alone agree on such a major endeavour. Their super rich resist
even a mere 3% rise in their taxes, yes I meant three! Europe is sincere, but
has no one riding along with it. China makes cosmetic changes but it is one
country that never does anything unless forced to and no one seems to be able
to force it to do anything. Africa and the South American continent are too
busy with their ruling dictators filling up their pockets. Carbon is Arabia’s
only livelihood and in India half the population is hungry, let alone worried
about climate change.

With a scenario like this, you can’t help feeling there’s nothing in the way of
a grim global future where food becomes scarce, land and oceans polluted and
flooded, icebergs and ecosystems vanishing and parts of countries flooded
resulting in enormous population displacements.

Everybody seems to have adopted the old Goan dictum - maka podunc nam.

“I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the
fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. I want you to act as you
would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house was on fire — because it
is.”

— Greta Thunberg, climate activist, at the World Economic Forum, Jan. 25, 2019

Peter Coy of the NYT tells us of the “Lets Fool Ourselves” syndrome paralyzing
humankind.

So you saved a forest.
Was it ever really in danger.

We’re all familiar with the riddle about a tree falling in the forest and
making or not making a sound. Starting this weekend in Scotland, world leaders,
diplomats and climate activists will be wrestling with their own version of the
riddle: What does it mean when a tree does not fall in the forest?

A tree that does not fall in the forest continues to sequester carbon dioxide
from the atmosphere, helping protect humanity from climate change. The riddle
is who, if anyone, should get credit for the tree’s survival. To answer that
question, you need to know whether the tree was going to be cut down in the
first place. If it wasn’t, it seems dishonest to claim to have saved it. Yet
people will be tempted to take credit anyway.

If you understand this problem, you will understand one of the main debates at
the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties, or COP26, a
meeting to combat global warming taking place in Glasgow from Oct. 31 through
Nov. 12.

Economists like the idea of using markets to control carbon emissions because
markets provide lots of bang for the buck. For example, Switzerland recently
reached agreements with Georgia, Ghana, Peru and Senegal in which it will
effectively pay those countries to reduce their emissions and then claim the
reductions for itself to help meet its national target for emissions reductions
under the Paris Agreement of 2015. It’s more efficient to cut emissions in
those lower-income countries, where there’s plenty of low-hanging fruit (like
replacing inefficient cook stoves), than in Switzerland itself, which has run
short of cheap and easy ways to reduce emissions.

But governments need to make sure the markets are doing what they’re supposed
to. Otherwise you run into the tree-in-the-forest problem: countries claiming
credits for saving trees that didn’t need saving. That’s an issue in rich
nations as well as poor ones. The San Francisco-based environmental group
CarbonPlan said this year that forest protection efforts in California were
over-credited by about $400 million. An investigation last year by Bloomberg
Green found that the Nature Conservancy, the world’s biggest environmental
group, was helping big U.S. corporations claim credit for the preservation of
forests that were already well preserved. (In June, the Nature Conservancy said
that an internal review did not discover irregularities but “found
opportunities to improve our approach.”)

Negotiators in Glasgow will be wrestling with how to implement Article 6 of the
Paris Agreement, the last part of the accord to be finalized. Article 6 governs
the international trading of emission credits. The problem? “Article 6 is one
of the least accessible and complex concepts of the global accord,” the World
Resources Institute wrote in 2019. It added that “without the right rules in
place, Article 6 could actually weaken” countries’ commitments to reduce
emissions and increase global emissions.

One way Article 6 could fail is if it allows so-called double counting. A
project to protect the Amazon, for instance, could be claimed by both Brazil
and the rich nation that funded it.

Another form of failure would be the lack of “additionality,” as in the tree
example. Let’s say a country decided to build a wind farm instead of a coal
plant because the economics were better. It probably shouldn’t get credit
toward its national goal for not burning coal that it didn’t intend to burn
anyway.

“Leakage” is a related concern: If you pay one landowner not to cut down trees,
that could cause prices of trees to go up and induce other landowners to cut
down trees, leaving no net improvement.

Another conundrum: How much creditshould countries get for emissions-reductions
projects that were launched in the past, under the so-called Clean Development
Mechanism, which is defunct?

No wonder expectations for a breakthrough in Scotland are low. Carsten
Warnecke, a founding partner of the NewClimate Institute in Cologne, Germany,
told me he’s lost faith in global trading of emissions credits as a solution to
climate change. He says rich countries should focus on reducing emissions at
home while giving money to poor countries to help them achieve reductions.
(Under the Paris Agreement, rich countries are supposed to give $100 million a
year, but they haven’t so far.)

Others share Warnecke’s pessimism. “If there are large financial flows across
borders, you’re creating constituents in developing countries that depend on
financial flows and will lie and cheat and do everything they can to maintain
these flows,” says Gernot Wagner, a climate economist at New York University.
And he says rich countries would like to save money by claiming credit for
cheap, low-quality credits abroad. “It’s in nobody’s interest to enforce these
rules,” he says.

Some are more hopeful. “There are clear benefits to having channels of climate
finance to do things that otherwise wouldn’t happen,” says Roman Kramarchuk,
head of future energy analytics for S&P Global Platts. Zack Parisa, a founder
and the chief executive of Natural Capital Exchange, a forest carbon
marketplace based in San Francisco, says his company has developed standards
and technology to guarantee that forest protection credits are legitimate. But
even Parisa says that protecting trees is only a partial fix. “We shouldn’t
make the mistake of thinking forests are an infinite sponge,” he says. “They’re
the ambulance ride to the hospital.”

Today there are two categories of emissions trading. There’s one mandated by
governments, known as compliance markets, where countries or companies are
given limits on emissions. Emitters can buy credits or allowances to cover
their excess emissions and can sell credits or allowances to make some money if
they’re comfortably below their ceilings. And there’s a voluntary carbon
market, which is the one where companies like Delta Air Lines and JPMorgan
Chase buy credits to achieve their own emission-reduction targets. Under
negotiation in Glasgow is how to account for emissions trading across borders
and how these efforts can count toward national targets.

I interviewed Sonja Gibbs, the head of sustainable finance at the Institute of
International Finance. She said that she and others have spent the past 18
months developing rules for the voluntary carbon market as part of an
organization called the Taskforce on Scaling Voluntary Carbon Markets. She’s
optimistic that when it comes to emission reduction credits, there will be a
race to the top in quality, not a race to the bottom. “Once you have a
standard, there will be tremendous demand for it,” she says. “There won’t be
demand for credits that don’t have that recognition.”

Eventually, Gibbs says, there will be a single global carbon market that
combines today’s compliance and voluntary markets: “What happens at COP26 will
affect how the demand for credits will evolve. If countries set more ambitious
targets, there will be more demand for credits.”

And not just for trees that don’t fall in the forest.

Roland.
Toronto.