Everything changes and the Royal Family whose country’s Empire the sun once
never set on, was for the first time unwelcome on a foreign visit to a place
that has no political troubles with the UK.

Visits in previous times in some countries still colonialized, were filled with
protests and riots but those were always related to freedom movements. This one
is related to Britain’s existing vestiges still reflecting its past connection
to slavery.

In a way it’s a troubling thing even for us in Toronto. This attempt to bring
into the present, the things of the past. It is being brought to light that
some of Canada’s stalwarts were slave owners and traders whose wealth was
derived from the dark side. So statues are being taken down, schools and
streets named after them are being changed. Soon traditions will follow.

There are arguments on both sides. Canada and in this case Jamaica and indeed
in most other British ruled or connected countries, a lot is owed to those
slave traders but can we still condone or forget their dark deeds? Should we
dig up what is best buried?

If this determination to hold responsible the current Royal Family as
representing what happened in the past, it would mean the end of British
royalty. Some would say it might be a good thing. Monarchical Tradition can
sometimes be taken too far.

When royal tours fail
https://cnn.it/3JKyRvQ

Roland.