GEM (Goan, East-Indian, Mangalorean) Sailors

The attached is an account of GEM sailors, one of the first groups to leave
Konkan and Kanara region and challenge the high seas (Indian and Atlantic
Oceans) perhaps for the first time in history. We hope you enjoy reading this
aspect of colonial history.  To know our history isto recognize our culture.
There is a lot of ‘food for thought.’ Please forwardthe article to your
relatives, friends, peers, Indian and Lusitanian chatsites. Sharing history is
sharing our cultural heritage; and the work is forus, by us. Thank you for
allowing us to share this with you.
Hope this essay provides the readers with a framework of theirhistorical
journey.  Doing the homework will prepare onefor Shashi Tharoor’s words of
wisdom: “If you do not know where you havebeen, how do you know where you seek
to go? History belongs in the past, butunderstanding it is the duty of the
present.”

Philomena and GilbertLawrence,

Authors: Insightsinto Colonial Goa,

Published by Amazon in paperback and e-book.

The 330-page book provides details about the “story behind thestory” of certain
major events relating to Portugal's Eastern Empire. Thebibliography comprises
the titles of 86 books and published papers examined,studied, and referenced,
which makes the book a useful tool for thoseinterested in Lusitania's colonial
history.