Awarding cabinet rank is normal practice, says Eduardo
Faleiro

HERALD NEWS DESK

PANJIM, JULY 25 – Non Resident Affairs Department was
created to look into the affairs of the Goan community
overseas. And the department of Non Resident Affairs
has been introducing many measures to ensure that the
rights of Goan overseas are protected in Goa. And the
work has been met with wide appreciation.

Herald spoke to Commissioner of NRI Affairs Eduardo
Faleiro over the sudden controversy over the
designation.
How was the post of Commissioner created?
I read in the newspapers that my appointment as
Commissioner for NRI Affairs has been challenged in
the Courts. I did not seek any job either from Central
Government or the State Government. After my
retirement from the Rajya Sabha, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh offered me some positions far senior
than any position available in Goa but I could not
accept them because I wanted to be based in Goa. When
Chief Minister Rane requested me to take the job of
Commissioner for NRI Affairs I accepted it because
whilst being in Goa I could do some good for our
people.
When was this ministry and departments created?
The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs was created
about 5 years ago and NRI Departments at the State
level are an even more recent creation. I am the only
person in charge of such a Department in the whole
country who has had previous experience of this
subject. Indeed, before the creation of MOIA, NRI
Affairs were a Department in the Ministry of External
Affairs and I was in charge of that Department among
others as minister for two terms.
Why the designation of cabinet rank?
As far as Cabinet rank is concerned it is a normal
practice in India at the Union level as well as the
level of State Governments to bestow cabinet rank on
persons or offices which the Government of the day
considers appropriate. This is also the practice in
many other countries including UK and USA. Such
persons are not part of the Council of Ministers.
Who have been awarded these positions?
Inder Kumar Gujral was our Ambassador to USSR with a
cabinet minister rank in the seventies. Dr L M Singvi,
as High Commissioner to the U K, Dr Karan Singh, as
Ambassador to the USA in the eighties and nineties and
many others held cabinet rank. Dr Karan Singh even now
as Chairman of Auroville Foundation holds a cabinet
minister rank. Our president Dr Abdul Kalam was the
Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of
India and was accorded the rank of a cabinet minister
in 1999.
Are these Ministers part of the council of Ministers?
No, at present there is any number of persons both at
the Central as well as State level, including in the
neighbouring States of Maharashtra and Karnataka, who
hold cabinet minister rank but are not part of the
Council of Ministers.

http://oheraldo.in/node/26845

Cip