https://www.gqindia.com/content/goas-buzziest-restaurants-praca-prazeres-and-larder-folk-traverse-the-european-continent-for-inspiration

Just over a year ago, I found Ralph Prazeres uncharacteristically pensive
behind the counter of his lively bakery-café near my home in Panjim, one of
the post-pandemic runaway successes that define Goa’s increasingly merited
hype as the food capital of the country. Padaria Prazeres (padaria means
bakery in Portuguese) rocketed to attention immediately after opening in
2021 for its superb pastéis de nata— traditional custard tarts from Lisbon
that have become an unstoppable global trend—and has kept on winning prizes
and honours ever since. Still, it was obviously not enough for this Cordon
Bleu–trained expert with hard-earned experience in the kitchens of some of
the world’s best restaurants, and on that day he finally confessed what was
on his mind: Salade Niçoise. It was such an odd, unlikely revelation that
an inadvertent grin spread across my face until I realized the intense
32-year-old was being serious. He told me, “I need to start cooking my
food, which is the French classics made exactly how they are meant to be.
There is no one else doing it in India, but it’s what I’m going to do.”
Bemused by this bold statement of purpose, I ventured to ask which dishes
he had in mind that weren’t being properly represented anywhere in this
vast country, and that’s when the young chef’s eyes lit up with excitement
talking about the iconic 19th-century salad from the Côte d’Azur—Nice is
the largest city in the French Riviera other than the ancient port of
Marseilles—along with other decidedly old-school fare from the golden age
of European gastronomy. His passion struck me as charming, but also
distinctly eccentric—this millennial Indian so hung up on cooking what even
the French consider old-fashioned—and I returned home unconvinced his
quirky dream would ever come true.

That, of course, was my very big mistake, because Prazeres proceeded to
accomplish exactly what he intended, and opened up an elegant,
astonishingly accomplished little shrine to French cooking in an
ingeniously restored old house in São Tomé, one of the pocket-sized
heritage neighbourhoods spilling into each other along the Rio de Ourém
(the “river of gold” mangrove-lined creek at the entrance to Goa’s
pocket-sized capital). From the moment I entered Praça Prazeres soon after
it opened, it was obvious there is indeed nothing like this understated but
unlimitedly ambitious restaurant anywhere else in the country, and that was
even before his Salade Niçoise made its first appearance on my table. It
was an epiphany in a bowl—shockingly good and so unbelievably addictive
that I literally woke up the next morning craving more. That is when it
finally sunk in what had made the young chef so wistful all those months
ago, and every meal I have enjoyed at his hands after that has only
confirmed he is the real deal. Make no mistake, this is an instant culinary
landmark of huge significance, and anyone who cares about truly great
restaurant food in India needs to check out what this gifted maestro is
capable of.

To be sure, Praça Prazeres poses any number of challenges to conventional
wisdom in our hype-driven 21st-century restaurant landscape, along with
what passes for rankings of the very best in the country. This new
establishment is rooted in one of the most resolutely carnivorous regions
of the country, and does serve beef, fish and chicken, but its most
revelatory dishes turned out to be runner beans with cauliflower purée,
cubes of beetroot with goat’s cheese, charred cabbage set off by crispy
chickpeas, and, above all else, that killer Salade Niçoise (which contains
tuna and anchovies). Everything is meticulously technique-driven French
cooking without any pandering to “the Indian palate” that usually
characterizes—and ruins—most “continental” restaurants in this part of the
world. Also markedly unusual is the service: warm and attentive but never
obsequious, with the tone set eye-to-eye from the open kitchen out of which
Prazeres constantly pops out to meet and greet, with the front of the house
tightly controlled by his wife Stacy Gracias.

All this is unconventional in India, but in many ways, it represents the
platonic ideal of modern restaurant culture in the West, as it developed
out of 19th-century France, and was substantially shaped by the famous
Michelin Guide books, which began to become all-important in the wake of
World War I just over 100 years ago. The brainchild of tire company
founders André and Édouard
Michelin—the brothers’ idea was to encourage motorists to drive further
thus generating more demand for their products—has become an all-powerful
juggernaut, with perniciously influential ratings of restaurants in almost
40 countries from Japan to Brazil, but it began with purer intentions and
this lastingly compelling and effective set of criteria to compare like to
like: quality of products, demonstrated mastery of flavour and techniques,
value for money and consistency between visits, but above all “the
personality of the chef represented in the dining experience”.

Those elemental yardsticks continue to make perfect sense, but there is no
doubt social media and changing generational preoccupations have skewed the
21st-century dining experience towards smoke and mirrors and non-stop
spectacle. It is equally true everywhere in the world from Manhattan to
Mumbai: Today’s celebrated restaurants tend heavily to tasting menus and
Instagram-friendly interiors, where people-watching is as important as
eating, and you wind up paying just as much for the photo-op as for what’s
on your plate. This is an undeniable reality of our times, and it’s why it
has yet to be seen whether Ralph Prazeres can be as successful as he
genuinely merits because it is unclear whether the clientele to appreciate
his cooking even exists in any substantial measure in this country. After
all, the locality may be endlessly atmospheric and thronged all day with
eager tourists, but São Tomé is definitely not Saint-Tropez, and it’s going
to be an uphill challenge to get young Indians excited about Salade Niçoise.

Will it ever happen? For sure, that possibility cannot be dismissed
altogether because the light bulb did go on for me many years ago, and the
same thing happened for Prazeres three decades later. In my case, it was
while studying at the venerable Cours de civilisation française de la
Sorbonne in Paris in 1991, where my chambre de bonne (the “maid’s chambers”
often occupied by semi-indigent students like me) was just around the
corner from Au Pied de Fouet, an old and tiny brasserie filled with elderly
civil servants from the government offices throughout the 7th
arrondissement. I was just 23, with an extremely limited budget, but in
those days it was enough for a couple of prix fixe dinners every week,
where I would test my language skills—they never went past very basic—while
the formidable matron of the house instructed me about what to eat. It was
an unforgettable education in refinement, and the pleasures of dining in
courses, with the purpose of replenishing both body and soul.

All of that is integral to gastronomy—the term comes from ancient Greek—the
highly evolved philosophy of the table that was elevated most memorably by
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, the 19th-century bon vivant and author of
the most famous and influential food book of all time, the utterly lovely
1825 *The Physiology of Taste*, which popularized the concept of “gourmet”
and coined vivid aphorisms like “Tell me what you eat, and I shall tell you
what you are” and “Animals feed themselves; men eat; but only wise men know
the art of eating.” I got my first copy in translation by the great
American food writer MFK Fisher all those years ago in Paris—another
crucial recommendation by the grand old lady of Au Pied de Fouet—and was
immediately hooked by its lofty stream of logic: “Gastronomy is the
knowledge and understanding of all that relates to man as he eats. Its
purpose is to ensure the conservation of men, using the best food possible”
and “It is gastronomy which so studies men and things that everything worth
being known is carried from one country to another, so that an
intelligently planned feast is like a summing-up of the whole world, where
each part is represented by its envoys.”

There is a direct line from Brillat-Savarin and Marie-Antoine “Antonin”
Carême—the roughly contemporaneous chef who first described the “mother
sauces” of French cooking—to the great modernizer Auguste Escoffier, who
codified their preparation, and together they laid out the gold standard of
what became known as haute cuisine everywhere in the world throughout the
19th and 20th centuries. This too extended from Manhattan to Mumbai,
wherever the well-heeled congregated to eat. Just check out what was
consumed at the historic banquet “at the stroke of the midnight hour” at
the Taj Mahal Hotel in Bombay on 14 August 1947: consommé, velouté
d’amandes, paupiette de saumon, poulard souffé and vacherin de pêches. And
here is an interesting twist that connects back directly to Ralph Prazeres:
the chefs who prepared that first Independence Day banquet were all from
Goa, led by the imposing Miguel Arcanjo “Chef Masci” Mascarenhas.

This is no accident, and that rich cultural history is another big reason
that Praça Prazeres fits so seamlessly in its heritage neighbourhood. It is
because French cooking has been in vogue in Panjim for at least 200 years,
following an identical trend in Lisbon (the only cookbook written in
Portugal in the entire 18th century was compiled by Lucas Rigaud, a French
chef at the royal court). The delicacies he found on the tables of Goa
amazed the swashbuckling Victorian adventurer-author Richard Burton when he
sailed from Sindh to Panjim, as he reports in his entertaining 1851 debut *Goa,
and the Blue Mountains; or, Six Months of Sick Leave*: “An entertainment at
the house of a Goanese [sic] noble presents a curious contrast to the
semi-barbarous magnificence of our Anglo-Indian ‘doings’. In one as much
money as possible is lavished in the worst way imaginable; the other makes
all the display which taste, economy, and regard for effect combined
produce. ...The dinner parties resemble the other entertainments in economy
and taste.... [And] the cookery is all in the modified French style common
to the South of Europe.”

All this is crucial context. As the result of complicated accidents of
history, and unlike anything that happened in any other colony, many of the
Goans whom Burton encountered in 1840s Panjim possessed full citizenship
and an unprecedented parity of legal rights that didn’t happen for other
Indians for another full century. The inveterate imperialist keeps on
bemoaning this unfamiliar situation throughout his biliously racist but
ultimately hilarious book: “No wonder that the black Indo-Portuguese is an
utter radical; he has gained much by Constitution, the “dwarfish demon”
which sets everybody by the ears at Goa. Hence it is that he will take the
first opportunity in conversation with a foreigner to extol Lusitanian
liberty to the skies, abuse English tyranny over, and insolence to, their
unhappy Indian subjects.... [Because] equality allows them to indulge in a
favourite independence of manner utterly at variance with our Anglo-Indian
notions concerning the proper demeanour of a native towards a European.”

What does this have to do with Praça Prazeres in São Tomé? It is the
foundation of everything because it is precisely the unique cultural
wherewithal Burton describes that makes the difference between this new
restaurant compared with every other comparable establishment in the
country. Here, the young chef is not reproducing something he’s learned in
order to target the demands of any established clientele. Instead, this
food—and the restaurant itself—represents who he is. The difference is
palpable and shows with every bite. It isn’t cooking by the numbers, but
exactly what those ubiquitous Michelin Guides purport to prize above all:
the expression of the chef’s identity in the dining experience. The first
time I ate there it took me straight back to Au Pied de Fouet, and each
visit thereafter has only further convinced me we’re witnessing the
emergence of an impressively deft, assured and adventuresome new culinary
voice.

“I want to be in the top 10 in Asia,” says Ralph Prazeres in a moment of
calm before the service challenges on a recent evening, “and if Michelin
comes to India, of course, I want that star.” These are goals he has been
systematically working towards throughout his adult life, after growing up
in a family tradition of hotels and restaurants (his father is one of
India’s smallest state’s hospitality pioneers), and the hard grind of
rigorous training: Ecole Hoteliere Lavasa and Le Cordon Bleu London,
followed by long hours “making his bones” in the Rosewood Hotel kitchen
under chef Jérôme Voltat (“That’s where I became steeped in refined French
techniques”) and the award-winning Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden. Then
came an eye-opening stage at Noma in Copenhagen, the consensus best
restaurant in the world—“I learned about consistency here”—and another
indispensable stint at St John, the influential London restaurant often
ranked the best in Britain, where “it’s all about the importance of
simplicity: nose-to-tail, pan and fire”.

This level of first-rate training and experience is comparatively new in
the Indian restaurant universe—the likes of Chef Masci rose through the
ranks from washing dishes and plucking chickens— but they’re increasingly
de rigueur amongst the most ambitious restaurants in the country, including
some of those in Goa. In this regard, it’s fascinating to observe the
uncannily symbiotic relationship between Praça Prazeres and Larder + Folk,
the outlandishly excellent bakery and coffee shop just around the corner in
São Tomé, where the identically aged Priyanka Sardessai—the two chefs
actually attended nursery school together—also trained with the best, at
the Culinary Institute of America and New York City landmarks Red Rooster
and Café Boulud. There is another meaningful similarity: Both
establishments have the chef’s partner up front handling customers and
Siddharth Sumitran plays just as crucial a role as Stacy Gracias.

Actually, it was Sumitran’s eye-catching designs for Larder + Folk that
first caught my eye when Sardessai started up after the first COVID-19
lockdown was lifted in Goa. She was retailing babkas—the talismanic
Jewish–New Yorker sweet braided bread— and then announced she would be
making bánh mì sandwiches, the first time I ever heard of this fabulous
French-Vietnamese street food specialty being made available in India.
Every item was thoroughly delicious, and the Beatles-themed concept was
irresistible—Can’t Bánh Mì Love. “I was going through major withdrawal
about America all through lockdown,” says Sardessai, “and seriously craving
what I couldn’t have from New York.” Her cooking delved deep into those
cherished food memories, and she started making fried chicken sandwiches,
drawing upon her restaurant training in Harlem under the path-breaking chef
Marcus Samuelsson. The unyielding demand for this runaway hit has been the
foundation of her success.

“I was a very ADHD kid growing up,” says Sardessai—who was only diagnosed
as such in adulthood—“and my parents were absolutely against my doing
anything in food.” Her father and sister are lawyers, and while her mother
was an established caterer she cautioned against entering this difficult
and strenuous profession. But after studying commerce in Pune, the young
chef-in-the-making decided to work at Tea Café, newly established by
Vandana Naique, who herself returned to Goa after studying at the Culinary
Institute of America and working for many years in New York: “That
experience is what gave me the blueprint for what to do, and, eventually,
when my parents came for my graduation it changed the way they looked at
the industry, and realized how much cooking meant to me as well.”

There is an uncanny congruence and flow between Praça Prazeres and Larder +
Folk, which I have been relishing—to the admitted detriment of my already
expansive waistline—throughout this new year. The latter is open in the day
until 7 pm, which is exactly when the French cooking starts up in the
former, and to go from a leisurely co ee-and-Berliner in one to dinner and
drinks in the other has become one of the essential culinary circuits in
the country. In fact, I have begun to think of the two young chefs as
twinned virtuosos, whose genius is best understood and appreciated in
connection with each other, like Picasso and Matisse—or Francis Newton
Souza and Vasudeo Gaitonde, who also shared Goan roots and bold global
ambitions that were backed up by sensational skills and capabilities. Like
those exemplary artists who kick-started modernism in India, there are
crucial differences between them: It feels like Prazeres cooks for an ideal
international clientele, even if it may never show up around him, while
Sardessai is on a quest to satisfy her equally unknowable innermost spirit.
The wonderful news for all of us is we never have to choose.