                     **** http://www.GOANET.org ****

 TRI Continental Film Festival - Dona Paula, Goa, Sep 28 - Oct 2, 2007
           http://www.moviesgoa.org/tricontinental/tricon.htm

                           For public viewing
Registration at The International Centre Goa Ph: +91 (832) 2452805 to 10

              Online Media Partner:  http://www.GOANET.org
Dear Martin,
The Indian rite mass exists and is sees attendance at places like
Gnyan Ashram, Mahakali Caves Road, Andheri East. It also takes place
in convents, Christians ashrams, novitiates, aspirantates, seminaries,
and in homes.

Jyoti tumhare sadaath jalein (May your Flame (light) forever burn)
Aaya hum ujalla le nein (I am here to take (bask) in your warmth (love)
Swami aaya ujaala le nen (Lord, Guru I am come to be in your love)

To some, it can be visually overwhelming, as happened to my mother at
my wedding in Gnyan Ashram, I had prepared her for it, but she was not
ready for the experience. I immediately realized that I had taken
things for granted. It had begun with the a dancer doing the aarti.
Cecilia's family was totally in it. The thirty or so nuns were
expressed their approval, as almost all the invited congregation,
which was huge. The con-celebrants wore bhagwa (saffron) shawls over
their cassocks. Many in the congregation. were in their their best
Indian outfits. In this case there was no sitting on the floor. Too
many people would have had to be rushed to hospital! Vericose veins
and all..... But the interest reached a high during the pherya (steps)
around the. Not all seven though. Ise ekapadi, urje dwipadhi,
rayasopaya tripadhi...

The discomforture has to do with the cognitive dissonance which should
be expected considering that the music, the ambiance, the readings,
the poshak of the priest (vestments), decoration (often rangoli)
appears unlike anything at a regular Latin rite. It is not as if there
are similarities with a known Hindu ritual (which few have
experienced), it appears Hinduized to the extenst that many cannot
hold it all together to get through the mass! So the congregant has to
be able to move into this communion, which is not easy for the
majority.

The music may be the pethi (harmonium), chimta (clappers -- sort of
though not exactly like bhakti saints used), tabla, dhol, cymbals,
sometimes a flute, etc., besides some melliflous voices. Depending on
the facility of the priest or the congregation the readings can get
very interesting and revealing, and may be culled from  the
Dnyaneshwari (Duritanche timir vyavhe.. praani jaath), the Gayatri
mantra, the Gita, Upanishads, various sutras,

Asatoma sath gamayah (from Untruth lead us to Truth)
Tamasomah jyotirgamayaha (From Darkness to Light)
Myrtyorma amrutam gamayam (From Death to Life Everlasting)

I have noticed something over the years. For many of the
West--non-Indians looking inwards at Indian ritual--by and large any
phenomenon that is from the other; as long as it has some colors,
sound, silence, fragrance, it is an event, a happening to be
experienced. I mean it in the sense of phenomenology. For people like
my dear mother, or some of my relatives (not all) any change from the
normal, has to have a well articulated reason, if the image they carry
into their futures should not I presume here--sprout confusion, errant
questions or demons. They are settled in their practice of religion
and radical spectaculars jarr their equilibrium. I think the same is
largely the case in the western mind, again based on their
experiences, interests, secularisms, being and time, and understanding
of their own beliefs whatever they may be, to include agnosticism,
atheism, stoicism, or being emptied.

In a Goan vein, as Asha Bhonsale sings about Manguesh (Shiva) in the
film in the compilation cassette, Mogara Phoolala (the song if from
the film Mahananda:
Maghe Ubha Manguesha (Behind (me) is Mangesh)
Phuddhe ubha Manguesha (Infront of me (Facing, as in Casting his eyes
upon me) Mangesh
Mazya kaddhe dev maza pahato (aa)ye
(My Lord is looking towards me)

This song to me is a perceptual device in seeing ones beliefs (to be
enconced in them, believing in a path) or God in a broader light.

Venantius