Posting it to goanet. I had sent it to goajourno but I
haven't seen it appear there. However, i have sent it
again to goajourno.

This is reference to IFFI and the problems journalists
had registering online. Esther Kar was the media in
charge for IFFI.
eugene
----

I had emailed Ethel regarding my accrediation and also
to Esther. To my surprise Esther wrote back saying
that my online application is not in their database.
I had applied before the closing day.
She then said to me that I need to get a PAIDdelegate
pass.
Never got any reply from Ethel.
I was in Goa during the IFFI but I did not care to go
to the media centre and meet Esther. She seems to have
some attitude problem. A bureaucrat indeed. No wonder
Goan Observer thrashed her badly.
The PIB is like any other government department. I had
bad experience with it during the Pravasi Divas meet
in 2004 in Mumbai. Despite applying more than a month
and also faxing a letter from the Indian Consulate in
Toronto, Canada, I was shocked that my media pass was
not ready.
I saw the fax lying on the table. One of the officials
told me that I would not be able to attend the meet. I
was kept out of the hall where the PM inaugurated the
meet for more than half an hour.
I was then let in without a pass. Next day at the
media centre I was giving a runaround. I was told that
they had run out of media passes and a new print order
was given. It would arrive later in the day.
Henceforth, I decide not to attend the Pravasi Divas
meets. I was keen on going to Hyderabad the following
year. No doubt, it is a tamasha. But I felt that even
tamashas need to be covered.
On the other hand, I had no problem getting media pass
for the Dubai film festival. I enjoyed some of the
films, including gala primiere of AIDS Jagoo, by Mira
Nair, Loins of Punjab and many others.

Eugene Correia

Be a better friend, newshound, and