Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 5:17:42 -0800
From: Gilbert Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Goanet] Details of the Goa Inquisition / Hindutva cyber
       crimes?

The aspect that intrigues me on this topic is why / how do some
otherwise logical people (Goan Hindus and Catholics, RSS, Hindutva,
etc, and European writers)  do not appreciate the time-sequence of
events in Goa during this early period of Portuguese colonization?
As Teo rightly points out, the restrictions against the Hindus,
including Temple destruction, started in 1540.   The inquisition was
introduced in Goa in 1560 (some place its introduction in 1565).

2. If the aim of the Goa Inquisition was to destroy Hindu temples and
convert Hindus (as is alleged), why was the Inquisition in place for
250 years?  Were the colonialists unable to achieve their goals in
5-10 years? These are the same Portuguese that defeated the combined
armies of the five Deccan Sultanates in 1570; and these Muslim armies
in 1565 ended the mighty Vijayanagar empire with its more than one
million army.
Since the reasons and objectives of the Goa inquisition have been
recently presented by me on Goanet ... with Miguel Braganza's help...
I am not going to repeat them again.

Finally, and importantly, it is PRECISELY the TERRIBLE practices that
Teo describes below, that Francis Xavier (who arrived in Goa 1542)
bitterly complained to Portugal's King Juan III about.  Since the
local colonial administration (military and civilian) was not doing
anything about these colonial abuses, that SFX suggested that the
inquisition may help to discipline the Portuguese "who lived WITHIN
the Forts".  This is another fact in history that many, including Goan
Catholics, including authors like Alfred De Mello, have
misrepresented.

Hence as we condemn the anti-Catholic writings of Bajrang Dal, VHP,
RSS, Shiv Sena, etc.; let us also condemn Catholics for their
anti-Catholic writing.  And we do not have to go or see far for such
scripts.
Kind Regards, GL

------------- Teotonio R. de Souza Subject:

Only the first para is mine, the rest is added by whoever is
interested in a different communal agenda! I consider it as a
cyber-crime. I wrote to the christianaggression website where I saw
this text, but none cared to reply.

------------- Sachin Phadte

A Hindutvavadi sent this to me. I do not know what is the truth in all this.

Details of the Goa Inquisition
Dr. T. R. de Souza

At least from 1540 onwards, and in the island of Goa before that year,
all the Hindu idols had been annihilated or had disappeared, all the
temples had been destroyed and their sites and building material was
in most cases utilized to erect new Christian Churches and chapels.

--
Miguel Braganza, S1 Gracinda Apts,