On 11/04/2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dr Anand wrote:
>  I can say from personal experience that in todays Goa ( and India ) ,
>  thanks  to the minority appeasement / vote bank policies of the
>  Congress and the   reservation schemes for certain communities
>  being born a Hindu is bad enough  ... being born a Brahmin Hindu
> is the ultimate disadvantage.

True. Check the list of heads of Goa government departments and you'll
know the facts, for instance! See who controls, as my sociologist
friend put it, the minds and wealth of Goa through the most impressive
places of worship (of both larger religions) and the mines (a changing
reality now though).

Catholic "upper" castes would also like to believe they are
discriminated against, I guess, because the stranglehold of the
once-feudal structure of Goa is s-l-o-w-l-y withering away.

>  Comment: This is the second or third time I am reading  this
>  comment by Dr Anand. Once before, I requested him to
> substantiate his statement but so far there has been no
> response but a reiteration of the same statement. I am
> beginning to wonder whether he is a closet hindutvadist
> since the language used is the standard phrase used by
> them in all their propaganda. I challenge him once again
> to list all the 'minority appeasement' actions in Goa and
> elsewhere in India and also the disadvantages that a
> Hindu faces. Further can he deny that the BJP
> does not believe in or practice vote bank politics?

"Appeasement" is an interesting term, brought in by Hindutva to
justify the exclusion of those whom it considers not to be part of its
alliance of majoritism.

Yahoo, among other meanings, describes the term thus: "The policy of
granting concessions to potential enemies to maintain peace"

Enemies indeed! That's what Macaulayites, Marxists, Muslims and
minorities deserve to be seen as, isn't it?

Dr Anand, do you think it's right to use a term used for the Munich
Pact of 1938 (negotiated between Neville Chamberlain and Nazi
Germany's Adolf Hitler. Chamberlain, the prime minister of Britain,
allowed Hitler to annex part of Czechoslovakia to Germany) to describe
the treatment of minorities in India?

I won't claim that Christians are an exploited minority. Many in Goa
are indeed not (though the tribals facing the saffron fire in other
parts could well be). But what about the 120 million Muslim minority,
whose indices are far below than that of the average Indian? You need
to be blind not to see this... and to term it appeasement! Subsidies
for the Haj fares don't help the average Muslim to get access to
badly-needed education, health-care and social services; if anything,
it helps keep Air-India afloat!  (There are also subsidies for
Manasarovar, but that doesn't amount of "appeasement", of course!)
Even Goa's "uniform" family code allows for express discrimination on
basis of religion and caste ... but such issues conveniently never get
raised!

FN
  • ... marshallmendonza
    • ... Frederick [FN] Noronha * फ्रेडरिक नोरोन्या