Dog and the Bone
By: Fr. Peter Fernandes, SFX
Herald -April 17, 2008

We played a popular game, "Dog and a bone", as children in kindergarten, and now and then, as adults at picnics, and during recreation for our amusement. However, in the animal world, this is no game, but a continuing critical struggle for survival, in a dangerous dwelling place of unsuspected beasts. Love, mercy, forgiveness and reason have little or no value in such competitive surroundings. Nevertheless, this game teaches the lesson, "be quick and shrewd, or lose the bone". The goal seems to be of a worth, but in a rational world, reason must prevail over instinct.

Distressing , but true, this sport is incessantly played, often behind the closed doors, by our elected representatives, to satisfy their impulse. Only occasionally is their play for power exposed for general public to witness the exhilaration. The dignity of public office, distinguished by its high calling to perform noble task, is not comprehended by animals whose rationale is lost in the woods. Would it not be better, if such brutes were placed in an open arena to display their brawn?

The recent fiasco between the two cabinet ministers, Churchill Alemao and Micky Pacheco, is precisely the name of the game: "Survival of the fittest" They fancy flexing their muscles to capture the bone, but, at the deprivation of the ordinary citizens welfare.

On several occasions, both men have denigrated this office to fulfill their own dreams and selfish ambitions. Now, without name and shame, they are ripping the flesh of the public, like wild scavengers. They walk the path of darkness, which is a long road shrouded in secrecy. We ask, "Who will shed the light of knowledge and understanding on them, that they may see where they are leading us?"

Digamber Kamat government, which has survived two earlier attempts by the wild creatures to devour and dismantle the congress-led coalition government, speaks for itself. In order to take the bone from the then PWD minister, Dhavlikar, Churchill Alemao master-minded the move as an astute fox. He even had the audacity to proclaim the same from top of his voice: "There are no permanent friends or permanent enemies in politics." Dhavlikar lost the bone, as did Victoria Fernandes who aspired for one, because in this jungle , "might is right." In the aftermath, Dhavlikar found strength in NCP, whose members are no different than the others, and he is back in the game.

Just remember , if this ugly history of Goa has puzzled the learned, what would happen to our children, when they start learning the rich political history of Goa? Will they be grateful for the mess we created? Or will they laugh at our stupidity?

Atanasio Monserrate, the Taleigao MLA, has mastered the art of sneaking in from any or all directions to seize the bone. He played the role of Judas to congress party at the time of assembly elections, and stabbed the UGDP after winning the seat. Left alone for sometime, it seemed he had lost the power to play this game. However, the congress-led coalition government is experiencing the ripple effects of his presence and absence. It is inevitable to keep him at bay, because money speaks loud and clear. Recently, he has gained heroic status among the wild beasts, after his dramatic act at the police station, which shocked the citizens. Now, his induction to the cabinet berth is a predictable reward for gallant display of muscle against democracy.

Mr. Pandurang Madkaikar, was a deserving representative to hold on to the bone, because he was the only candidate from scheduled tribe, but the godfathers snatched it away from him. The hypocrisy of the congress party, which claims to be the saviour of the masses and of the minority, has come to surface numerous times.

Victoria Fernandes, is the only elected woman representative, yet cannot find a berth in the cabinet. Congress party has the policy not to give tickets to more than one member of the same family. Ironically, Alemao brothers, members of the congress party, are holding two cabinet berths, and at no cost are ready to relinquish the bone.

It is not fair to name just Churchill Alemao, Micky Pacheco and Atanasio Monserrate to have played this sport. All, but one, have come onto the field to play this game in our recent political history of Goa's legislative assembly. Mathany Saldanha was the only one who rose above the ordinary mire, thus setting the example of a true statesman. As it is, one is an insignificant number, when trying to create a difference , and change the ethics of our political. Hence, this is why he is rooted-out from the legislative assembly by uncouth people.

The national political parties, which have played a major role following the liberation of Goa, have not merited the desired goals for our state, besides, they failed to instill discipline among their own members. However, the greater tragedy is the failure of our own political parties, which mushroomed with little moisture of hope, but collapsed under the aches of selfishness with the blistering rays of the san. Goan citizens are primarily culpable for sustaining this discreditable pastime in our political sphere.

We elect these rogues over and over again, and they believe it is their birth-right to gorge on whatever is set before them. Dog and a bone! We have played this game numerous times; the shame is ours for our lack of discernment.

This baneful amusement of irrational people in the political strata of our society has kept the dignified person detached. The political horizon is bleak and uncertain for the future stability in Goa. It is time for a turn-around . We must root out these wild weeds, which are destroying the peace, serenity, beauty, and progress.

It is time we make selections of reputable, courageous and trustworthy individuals to represent us in public office. Open the door for new and promising leaders. Our earnest plea to all sincere and genuine men and women is to come forward, to honor public service with reason, sacrifice, love and forgiveness. This is the long-standing desire of every ordinary citizen of our homeland.

COMMENTS

Dear Fr. Fernandes,

WE tried to get your contact phone number, even tried Pilar, but have been unsuccessful so far. Just wanted to tell you that you have said much what is required to be said in the last paragraph of your very touching article. Even if we Goans qualify to do just that, it will be a mess, as explained by Cecil Pinto in his very interesting story of 'Three little Pigs'.

As Ex-Professor Mishra of the Dempe College said in his talk at the UTT GOENKARA's meeting today at the Menezes Braganza Hall, called to pass a resolution for Advocate General Subodh Kantak to be sacked, nothing short of 'systemic change' will do if Goa has to show its head above the corruption, graft and mismanagement mess that we see in Goa's governance today. He boldly said that 'You throw out the existing 40 thieves and you will get new 40 thieves with deeper open pockets which will never be filled. And he is damned right about that. This is the same thing we at Goa Su-Raj have been saying for the past 9 years. But we have not only been talking about it, but have drawn out a plan for the much desired 'SYSTEMIC' change that is the need of the hour if Goa has to change the course of it existing polity. And we have filled it to the brim with the ingredient that you have called for 'THE SELF-SACRIFICE'. And we are confident that none such a 'system of governance' will be written down in Goa by Goans, in the near future before it is too late, whatever they may do and however much they may prove themselves to be concerned about Goa's future. An should there be one, it will only be a feeble copy of what we have put out already, with half as much or even less of the most important ingredient, the self-sacrifice. However, should there be a miracle and Goa gets another 'written-down-system of governance' comparable and/or better than the one spelt-out by Goa Su-Raj in its 'Constitution' and its 'Road Map for Goa', then we at Goa Su-Raj shall bow our heads in reverence to those who be the authors of the same.

BTW you will have to put the blame of the 'exit' of Matanhy Saldanha and entry of Mauvin Godinho on the Cortalim scene on your brother in Christ Fr. Conceicao Da Silva of Batim fame. It is a wonder how well 'God' mixes with the 'Devil'. Or should we say 'Money'?.

floriano
goasuraj
www.goasu-raj.org for download of 'Constitution' and 'Road Map for Goa'