Why Goans Runaway from Goa ?

By Plastino D'Costa

First thing that comes to mind is that Goa is full of corrupt politicians who have messed up Goa and therefore Goans have no choice but to Runaway from Goa in search of a better opportunities. Although this could be one of the reasons, it might not be the only reason. Are politicians really responsible for Goans to Runaway, after all politicians eventually do what the masses want them to, it is time we start addressing the problem with an open mind, instead of finger pointing. With the Goan identity at stake, now might be the right time to think what has gone wrong all this while, which resulted in an exodus of Goans leaving Goa and settling in every nook and corner of the country and the world. When Goans make such a compelling decision to leave their birthplace, friends, family, happy memories and a naturally beautiful place, surely we are bound to find answers that might not necessarily point out to our leaders only.

The old argument that Goa although a beautiful place is not a land of opportunities might still hold true, but when Goans decide to leave Goa in the name of opportunities, they don't leave necessarily to put food on the table, instead to build palatial houses, buy fancy cars, hold lavish parties, or to fuel the never ending greed of family members who get used to anything with the label foreign. Never mind if the whole world wants a piece of Made in India.

Goan Generation Next is out of focus with reality when they spend their childhood in Goa, and by the time they realize that, time for education has passed by. Instead of proper mentoring, our society makes sure our youth stay busy distracted with village events, some essential and some that could have been avoided. Local functions and get-togethers are important but not at the cost of careers. How can one explain when youth are encouraged to act on local language stage plays or compose sub standard songs, when the stalwarts of this business most of the times depend on charity to sell their talent. The situation of footballers is a notch better, but how can you justify young Goans made to play day in and day out village football where the rewards is just some mediocre shield, some pocket money, a football kit or some charity from some villager who has just landed from his foreign trip. By the time the footballer realizes he can't make it into the National League, he is forced to make a career compromise which results in his leaving Goa.

Some Goans leave in their quest to search for trendy fashionable addresses as the word ABROAD is still adored in Goa. It is still looked upon as a big achievement and falsely elevates the status of the entire family. After all in Goan Social circles it is stylish if someone in your family is in New Jersey, New York, Melbourne, never mind the exact location. Naïve parents feel very proud to mention their children trendy foreign addresses, after all Cincinnati sounds better then Chinchinim, Carolina sounds better then Carmona, Boston sounds better then Betul. To make matters worse some of the South Goan villages have this lousy joke of attaching some negative character to the already not so trendy village names. Goa so far is still a trendy Generation Next name, until one idea bankrupt leader will find some reason to change that also, that should be a good reason for the rest of the Goans to leave.

During this time of the year we have Non Resident Goans converging on Goa with their success stories some true but most one sided. The resident Goan is already on the back foot as he has nothing to show to neutralize the blitz and is so impressed by the purchasing power of the visiting Goan even if it is temporary, that he is already making up his mind to test the waters of foreign soils or seas.

Of course Goans that do attempt to come back to Goa, sometimes find out that they are being made fun of for their better English, or their less knowledge of their mother tongue. Day in and Day out they will be hassled and if you are not strong willed, they will make sure you call it quits and leave. The worst scenario is when Goans with their entire family leave Goa just to escape family feuds. It might be the easy way out but not the right one.

Some effort is required by the society in general to address these problems, some of them mostly in the mind, if a society demands you build palatial houses or buy fancy cars and if these can't be achieved with limited opportunities in Goa, then now might be the right time to think of toning down our expectations. If the society needs our Generation Next to be professional stage artists or footballers we better pay them more than peanuts. We can't waste their careers just to satisfy our urge to watch free village football or a sub standard play. What was good in the olden days might not be good enough now in this changing professional world. Trendy addresses sound good just because there is a positive hype created around these names, there is nothing wrong in creating a positive hype for our addresses also, instead of downgrading and creating a negative hype. Also in social circles importance should be given to people who are slogging it out and making it big in Goa, at least they are adding to the positive hype. It is the duty of the Non Resident Goans to give a fair picture of their place of residence, nobody is denying that the grass is green on the other side of Goa but let's not lure the ill informed Goan to make hasty decisions.

This article is written not with the intention to give a clean chit to politicians, but by blaming them for all the ills of the society, we might be deflecting the problem where the solution might be as simple as changing our mindset. We Goans inadvertently have forced the Goans to Runaway from Goa thereby creating a vacuum and it is only natural that the vacuum is getting filled.

Above Article first appeared in the Herald on 24th January 2007

Courtesy : An Earlier Article "What is your Mother Tongue? had appeared in the Herald on Septemebr 16, 2007.