On 24/04/2008, CORNEL DACOSTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Gabe
>  The quote you kindly provided from the Daily Mail says
>  "scientists have found out that we are hard-wired to
>  care about social status." I can't quibble with this
>  view at all and the Catholic Goans are no exception to
>  this view. ............................CASTE status
>  is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE as it is attributed to an
>  accident of birth and pr-determined on highly dubious
>  criteria that will NEVER change.

>  Kind regards
>
> Cornel

QUESTION: So the inheritors in the Old World (Europe)  i.e. Kings,
Queens, Princes and so on and so forth are not an accident by birth?.
I find this extremely perplexing.

To put it bluntly, I would say that I wouldn't begrudge any one being
born of any Caste or status. I would expect them to behave accordingly
and with dignity towards their fellow human beings. With generosity,
if they are well endowed - I believe this was the system of the feudal
Lords, as well as the Bhatcars of old. Needless to say, there were
exceptions to the rule but I would think, that if one was an oppressor
than one wouldn't get the work done, or get it done begrudgingly and
with curses thrown in for good measure?

--
DEV BOREM KORUM.

Gabe Menezes.