posting this on Goa net directly..thanx

FLY ON THE WALL

Sujay Gupta

Suggested headline:

*Goa's green movement has shades of black*

 Every dream has a tinge of a nightmare. Every revolution , has a hero.  And
a villain. And every movement has a body of truth. And a body of greed and
misuse.

As proud believers and supporters of every genuine peoples movement in Goa,
it's a nightmare to live through times, when a section of environmentalists,
including some of the very heroes who continue to fight Goas wrongs, have
taken upon themselves the role of downright but selective environmental
bullies.

Selective, because the target's carefully orchestrated, are people,
companies and corporations, in the garb of an euphemism called the "mining
lobby".

Last week, a serious issue of the havoc caused by illegal mining companies
and an urgent need to address it was hijacked, trivialized and crushed by
charges of  a mining lobby nexus with Manohar Parrikar and with Digambar
Kamat, and the alleged role of yours truly of deftly managing to make the
Leader of the opposition and the Chief Minister to make statements such as
the presence of naxalite activity in mining areas, to suit one of the
biggest mining companies in Goa.

I humbly state, that I have, at least not yet, acquired those skills and
even If I do, they will be used to rid Goa of some of environment destroying
illegal mining companies as well as fake and compromised environmentalists.

 What followed was an orchestrated exercise by a lobby of activists and
their sympathisers to hold court and pass verdict on every single issue such
as my credibility, my act of compromising with miners, and how I have
suddenly turned traitor to the cause, simply because I chose not to blur the
lines between irresponsible activism and journalism.

I am forced to start on a narrow myopic platform, because that is the gutter
level to which environmentalists like Claude Alvares and bloggers who are
afraid to bark with their signature and do so in the dark, namelessly and
shamelessly calling themselves Pen-Pricks; have sunk to.

(*I just wish they had not insulted the pen because that is a sacred tool
with which writers and thinkers work and pen pricks is a very poor pretender
and a false claimant to that tag*).

I will first handle individuals and their roles in this story before
addressing key and serious issues at hand. At the root of this recent
upsurge against mining companies, actually a few and specifically one, is a
series of  skirmishes and battles Claude Alvares has fought  and lost
against the mining company and other companies managed and run by it.

The two agitations at Advalpal and Colomb are areas where this company has
mines operating. In Colomb where the entire focus on how this mining company
had not acquired forest and environment permissions and therefore should be
stopped, there is a specific court ruling declaring that the activities are
legal. The court has even ordered a specific injunctions  preventing
militant activists from entering the mines and creating disturbances.

Now gentlemen and lady crusaders, irrespective of which side you are on, a
court ruling needs to be respected, if for nothing else than the fact that
Claude Alvares dwells, dabbles and professes legalities. So if you respect
the law, please do so even when the law finds you on the wrong side.

 Yes, there are illegal mines operating in Advalpal, where permissions have
not been acquired, yes there are fly by night operators who even attempt to
mine in 25 x25 square feet of land and make a fast buck, and yes forests
have been cut and hills raped, by people who have not even sought
permission. There is a need to agitate, protest and initiate coercive action
against those individuals and companies.

But if that is a genuine motive, why is that motive getting coloured by a
selective attack on one or select mine owners whose pictures are painted
black and they are selected in every speech and village corner meeting for
special verbal attack. And the irony is, that such genuine mining companies
have mined, created jobs, changed lives and bettered livelihoods for
decades, in an industry which by its very nature takes a lot away from the
land and involves in a fair amount of environment depletion.

This leads to serious doubts that need to be answered. Doubts whether a
certain environmental lobby targets people and companies they cannot do
deals with and spares those with whom they do.

It all looks very pretty to some when a motley group of crusaders storm
offices and mines, call for bandhs and block roads. Genuine tools of people
protest. But I need to draw the attention of a wider group of people like
the readers of the Herald, of some of the activities of some of these
protesters. And I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

There is a certain individual who is seen with the new crusaders led by
Claude Alvares and has in its ranks Sebi Rodrigues and others, including a
sensitive and good human being Minguel Braganza, in whose eyes, I have
lately fallen. This fellow's name is Shyam Sundar Naik . Naik led the
protests against mining operations of a company in Advalpal.

The same Shyam Sundar Naik, accepted a compensation cheque from the same
company of Rs 48000 in 2006. In addition, he demanded money from the company
for his local cultural organization *Varchawada Kala and Sanskruti Kruti
Samiti * and accepted a cheque (no 597271) drawn on Canara Bank Margao dated
22.12.2006, of Rs 11,44,000 from the company. Will Shyam Sundar Naik or his
activist masters care to explain how this money meant for cultural
activities was used?

For long companies have been repeatedly pressurized and bullied to pay up to
buy peace. You call this activism?

And by the way, the same Shyam Sundar Naik has trucks operating  in the  very
same mines, even till this day. This is a classic case of double facedness
where you are contracted to a mining company and get donations for your
cultural organization, and at the same time, mobilize, and to my knowledge,
even in a subtle fashion threaten people to agitate against the same
company.

 But if a mature debate, of which there appears to be no sign, is to be
held, the issues here are simply this. Mining companies should be prevented
from mining illegally and there should be a serious citizens watchdog to
ensure this. Secondly, mining companies should replenish what they take from
the earth in the best manner possible. And this needs to be monitored. Any
such failure should lead an immediate cancelling of leases and non renewal
of future leases. And thirdly, companies should be personally responsible,
in the event of very little governmental intervention, to ensure that
pollution and it's after effects on health of local residents are controlled
vociferously.

A list of such companies should be prepared by watchdogs, proof gathered and
cases filed. If the ground work of the watch dogs is genuine, let courts
declare stringent punishment and ultimate closure of mines.

That is what a genuine agitation and a people's movement is all about.
However, if the end result of agitations isn't a closure of the problem
through genuine solutions, then activism  borders on terrorism.

What also needs to be addressed is, is all mining bad and should mining be
banned completely, or is illegal mining bad and should be stopped. I, and
many right thinking people, do not buy the farcical argument that all mining
in Goa is illegal. If that was so, the law would have caught up with all of
them. And if the law is weak, get the law makers to change the law and then
get the courts to declare companies operations illegal. There is confusion
even in the activists' ranks. Some call for a ban on mining, others call for
nationalisation of mining.

One of the finest movements in Goa's history, the agitation against the
regional plan was focused on the illegal manner in which the Regional Plan
was drawn. The agitation, without any hint of violence, forced the
government to scrap the faulty plan and start the process of drawing up a
new one, with peoples help.

Then, the  anti SEZ agitation has merit. One unheard of crusader procured
documents to show how laws were bent and manipulated to benefit some
companies and the protest against housing projects in villages, has serious
and genuine argument.

I, in my limited capacity, salute and support each of these movements and
people like Oscar Rebello, Ritu Prasad, Dean D Cruz, Patricia Pinto and
Franky Monteiro and so many others. But I shall not, even in the face of
incessant personal and defamatory attack, support deal makers and bullies
who espouse people's causes for their personal benefits.

There is an old Chinese curse – "May you live through interesting times" We
are living that curse.

 Let Goa be the judge of our heroes and our villains.