Forwarded by Camilo Fernandes, Manchester - source  www.mangalorean.com

Ruins of St Augustine Church at Old Goa

By Ramesh Lalwani, New Delhi [ Published Date: July 5, 2008 ]

 Old
Goa has the credit of having a number of churches which have been
included in UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites. Among these are the
ruins of St. Augustine Church which was perhaps the largest one in Goa
. The Church of St Augustine was constructed by the joint efforts of 12
Augustian Friars after they arrived in Goa on 3rd September 1572 AD.
They built the church on the Holy Hill at Old Goa. The construction of
the church was completed by 1602 AD. A ban was imposed by the
Portuguese government   against the Augustines. The church and the
convent thereafter were deserted.
The ruins of 46-metre high Bell Tower without the bell
can be seen from some distance and attract attention of visitors. Five
storied arched belfry tower built of laterite formed part of facade of
the church facing east. This tower is one of the four towers of St.
Augustine Church. The Church had eight richly adorned chapels and four
altars and a convent with numerous cells.  The ruins of chapels, altars
and extensive convent with numerous cells can be seen even today around
the tower. The bell was first   placed in the Fort Aguada Light House,
where it remained from 1841 to 1871 AD. Finally it was put in the
church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception at Panaji in 1871 AD and it
is still in working condition. The remaining tower is one of four
towers shown in sketch below.

It is reported that  the convent was used for
missionary and charity work by the charitable institution of the
Misericordia .The church buildings finally fell due to neglect  and
resulted in the collapse on 8 September 1842. The Government
appropriated the property and sold the materials of the remains of the
church in 1843. The facade and half of the tower fell in 1931.
Archeological Survey of India has undertaken excavation
as well restoration work of this monument which has being going on for
some years now. When I last visited in January 2006 I noticed lot of
activity.
I was very keen to present here some old pictures of
this massive structure. After lot of search I located a blog by Mr.
Jose F P Lourenco - He writes "I've saved the best photograph for last.
I found this in my late uncle's chest while cleaning the musty old
attic. It's from a 'Souvenir da Velha Cidade de Goa' by the venerable
photographers Souza & Paul. The back cover of this photograph
collection reads 'Unico Representante na India Portuguesa das makinas
fotograficas Rolleiflex e Rolleicord'!" The sketch above has been taken
from same blog courtesy - Mr Lourenco.

Ramesh Lalwani, New Delhi

Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony
http://www.shaadi.com/msn/matrimony.php