FN is right in referring to a reference of mine to the links of the early
founders of the Society of Jesus to the declining feudal aristocracy. The
very foundation could be viewed as their effort at finding a socio-economic
solution (gainful self-employment?) to their plight. This analysis could be
applied with some differences and degrees to the membership of the Society
of Jesus till its suppression in the mid-18th century.

But one major factor in obtaining the beatification / canonization of its
members by the Society of Jesus depended on its socio-political clout. It is
not a surprise that while Portugal got its first Jesuit canonized only in
the mid 20th century (St. Britto martyred in India), Spain could get 3 of
its saints canonized on the same day and year: Ignatius of Loyola, Francis
Xavier and Theresa of Avila! Incidentally, Portugal was under Spanish rule
at the time and the canonization of Francis Xavier had a part to play in the
Spanish efforts to neutralise the Portuguese resistance. There have been
some research efforts at analysing these factors in the recent times. The
festschrift *Metahistory* that was dedicated to me last year, contains an
interesting article by Jorge Guimarães, a Portuguese scholar, analysind the
politics behind the hagiographies of St. Francis Xavier at the time of his
canonization. Dr. Ines Zupanov, teaching and researching at Sorbonne, also
produced some interesting publications on this issue.

Message: 8