In the session on Goan/Konkani associations presented by respective

representatives, Cellie Gonsalves spoke on behalf of International Goan

Organization (IGO), Zulema de Souza on Westend Seniors and Roque

Barretto on Goan Charitable Organization (GCO) and George Pinto,

Philomena Giese and Aracia (not sure of spelling) spoke on behalf of

Goa Sudharop. Part of this session was carried over the  next and final

day. There were no speakers from the Mangalorean, Anglo-Indian and Konkani
Associations (possibly meaning tiatr groups).
The session was the last item of the final day. But before the speakers

were called to the podium, Kevin Saldanha did his convention sum up and

left. When the first speaker, Oscar Furtardo, president of the Goan

Overseas Association, began to speak Lisette, Kevin's wife and Events

Coordinator, left the hall. When someone asked where is Kevin, he was

told that Kevin was packing the bags outside the hall. Protocol or at

least courtesy demanded that the convention director be presented when

the speakers spoke, more so when the president of GOA, an important

organization, took the podium. Obviously, Kevin and the GOA were not on

good terms.
Oscar was miffed and almost decided not to speak. He was prevailed upon

to take the mike. He felt that it was unbecoming of the convention

director to give his final speech before the last item had ended. He

felt it was "insulting" to him and other speakers. Darrel Carvalho,

vice-president (Building) of the GOA, spoke on a housing project. There

were less than ten people in the audience.
This brings me to an healthy relationship between the organizers,

particularly the husband-and-wife team of Kevin and Lisett. I heard

from the GNAT sources that GOA was not supporting the convention and

had provided no "volunteers." I believe GNAT approached the GOA for

financial aid but it was turned down on the ground that the GOA itself

was financially at a break even point. It was unfortunate that Viva Goa

event had to be cancelled as the venue got flooded because of rains.

There was also a rumour that GOA was offered to host the convention but

GOA sources say that it is not true.
On this point, I must ask whether Kevin was offered to host the

convention on behalf of GCO or on his own? I am told that he proposed

to GNAT to host the convention at one of the meetings and GNAT agreed.
I will delve on this point (alotting the hosting of the convention) in

another post.
On the organizing committee there was a representative from IGO, Al

Mathias, who has served GOA as vice-president in the past. There was no

representative from GOA, the oldest Goan organization not only in

Canada but in North America. Let me remind you that GOA hosted the

first International Goan Convention in 1988 and the 2008 Goan

Convention, as Kevin put it at one of the events, was to commemorate 20

years of the first convention.
Let me go to the genesis of the 2008 Goan Convention. When the Lisbon

Goan Diaspora Meet was announced, Kevin and Lisette decided to attend

it. According to some sources, the Casa de Goa said it would provide

free accommodation and hospitality to one representative of a Goan

association from each country. To take advantage of this offer, Kevin

secured an official letter from the Goan Charitable Organization (GCO).

It was Aloysius Vaz who provided him the letter. And Aloysius

(popularly known as Al) was the president of the GCO by virtue of him

being the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the GOA. The GCO is the

charitable wing of the GOA and the board of directors are office-

bearers of the GCO with the president of the GOA as the other member.
Aloysius is paternal unclue of Lisette, brother of Lisette's father

Larry. And Al was given an award at the inauguration of the convention

at the hands of Edwardo Faleiro. Al was chosen over other names

submitted to the committee, including the name of Roque Barretto, now

chairman of the Board of Trustees of the GOA and president of the GCO.

Roque was holding similar posistions three years ago and after stepping

down Al took over. Al had served under Roque.
Roque and Al go a long way since the founding of the GOA as both are

founder-members. Roque had roped in Al to serve on the board of

directors.
There is no doubt that Al has contributed lot of time to GOA and GCO.

However, it would have been nice if both had shared the award. In fact,

Al was bit taken aback that his friend Roque did not get it. I am

informed that Kevin gave Al the award because Al is not keeping good

health.  Al informed me that he underwent lung surgery a couple of

months earlier and that the top lobe of his right lung has been

removed. He said he was feeling fine and the doctors have assured me

that there no traces of cancer are left. Another award was given to

Mons. Terence D'Souza (not sure of his last name). Mons. Terence has

helped build the St. Francis Xavier's Church in Mississauga.
It is learnt that Kevin took the decision to give the awards to Al and

Mons. D'Souza with consulting the committee. This is one instance of

how the husband-and-wife team dominated the whole convention. It was

rather wrong on the committee to give the wife the post of Events

Coordinator when the husband held the post of Convention Director. When

Olinda resigned from her post of Events Coordinator, Kevin approached

the committee or rather the GNAT president Francis to give the post to

Lisette. I feel the committee or even Francis regrets the decision very

sorely as Francis was completely sidelined. I am told that Francis and

Lisette were not on talking terms even before the convention started. I

could feel the tension among these key players and that's made me make

some enquiries.
Here is a convention that has "networking" as part of its theme and

here we have the key players unable to "network" among themselves. It's

a shame that the committee was divided into two major groups. The

invisible gulf that existed between those on Kevin's side and those on

Francis's side was what made a mockery of the intent and purpose of the

convention. Kevin and Lisette carried big egos. I am told that Kevin

was at least tolerable to some extent but Lisette was "intolerable."
The "family affair" could not have attended on a better note when

Kevin's and Lisette's daughter, Emerald, won the beauty pageant at the

Convention Ball. She had failed to win the crown at the May Ball, a

fundraiser, for the convention but, I am told, was a money-loser. It

must be noted that two of the pageant judges are "well known" to the

Saldanha family.
One slightly drunk guest pulled me to the bar and started cursing the

Saldanhas. He said that two contestants, No. 10 and No. 6, were better

looking than the winner. Frankly, I did not watch much of the pageant

as I was chatting outside the hall. I entered the hall when the winner

was doing her victory lap and that's when I was caught hold off by this

person. My prize for listening to his outburst -- a peg of whisky.

Eugene Correia

PS: I am writing these pieces in a hurry (and at times when I am dead tired) as
I am busy with my guests visiting Toronto. I am taking them around Toronto and
elsewhere in the province. I do not have internet at home and have to go to an
internet cafe to check my emails and also post these write-ups. I, therefore,
request you to excuse me for spelling and grammar mistakes as I don't have time
to check them. Besides, spending more time at an internet cafe means more money
;-)
I hope goanetters are able to sort out what I am saying. If anyone wants
clarification, please send me an email.