Long ago, some half-wit must have come up with the story of how Goans
are like crabs. Actually I am not sure the story orginated with Goans
as I had been hearing my Maharastrian friends in Bombay telling the
same story long before it became popular with Goans. So it looks like
the Goans just copied it.

The Goan version goes like this. If there is some Goan achiever (and
our Lola Vaz-Rafearo is the lastest to repeat this on this forum), the
rest of the Goans pull him or her down like crabs in a basket.

Since Vidyadhar Gadgil's exhortation is to "Question Everything", I
have been questioning the crab story.

Now I ask you:
In order to be pulled down by other crabs in a basket, doesn't one
have to be a crab oneself? And after being pulled down, doesn't one
start pulling another down and so on and so forth? So who is the bad
crab and who is the good crab?

Now, if one were not in the basket, or one were not a crab, would one
not avoid the risk of being pulled down entirely?

I seek an answer.

Roland.

--
Roland Francis