Am trying to build a listing of bookshops around Goa. Could anyone
help me, with your pointers and comments? Also do inform if any on the
list are no longer in business. Thanks, FN

Panjim

* Singbal's Panjim 2425747
  Old world charm, near the church square. Known for
  textbooks in the past. Has a good Goa collection too.
  I bought a Portuguese primer, pre-1961 published, for
  a few rupees here, not many years ago.

* Broadways, Panjim
  At the end of 18th June Road, though they like this
  address for the prestige value it adds. Also claims to be
  Goa's largest bookshop, with a wide range and special
  discounts. They'll let you browse as long as you wish.
  Open Sundays and uptil 9 pm almost.
  http://www.goabooks.com

* Varsha , Panjim 2425832
  My favourite hole in the wall. Near Cafe Prakash/
  Azad Maidan. Mostly magazines. Will let you browse
  into their narrow bookshop.

* Jeevit Bibles and Bookshop 2438638
  Patto Center - 2nd Floor/No.8 Patto Plaza
  (Next to Paulo's) Panjim.  Tel: 2411201.
  Run by ex-Britto's former Merchant Navy man
  Tino Nazare and his Brazilian wife Mara. Religious.
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* Sardesai's Book Shop, between the religious hotspot
  of the Goan capital, on the road leading from the church
  to the masjid (that goes on to Mahalaxmi Temple).
  Mostly known for textbooks.

* Hotels like Nova Gova and others have their own
  bookshops, in-house.

Margao

* Golden Heart 2732450
  Advertises itself as Goa's largest. Impressive spread
  of books. You'd get some books not available in
  Panjim here. Busy and active.

* Book Mark 2711796

* Jesus Encounter, Gogol 2724544

* Kitab Book Store, Pajifond 2731493

* Printz Plaza, Margao 2743337

* The Bookmark, Margao 2711796

Mapusa

* Other India Bookstore 2263305.
  Great alternative books, NGOish, environmental
  focussed, run by Norma and Claude Alvares.
  Check their occasionally published, elaborate and
  annotated catalogues. otherindiabookstore.com
  I could claim to have a 2% role in pushing OIBS
  to start a (now well-stocked and elaborate) Goa
  book shelf.

* Living Word, Altinho, Mapusa 2252470
  Religious texts.

Calangute

* Literati. Very unusual cafe-bookshop.
  Lot of high-profile book readings (sometimes
  followed with cheese and wine) run by
  lawyer-booklover Divya Kapur. This was formerly
  the home of Anthony Simoes, the Australia-
  returned cost engineer better known for his role
  as a number crunching-environmental campaigner
  in the Konkan Railway campaign and more.
  E/1-282 Gaura Vaddo, Calangute
  It was inaugurated in November 2005.
  Phone +91-832-2277740

* Oxford Bookstore
  "Offering the best in publishing in an
  auburn golden-lit ambience, this could just be
  your best place to relax in town. With an
  incredible collection of books on fiction,
  beach reading, Indian writing in English,
  yoga/tantra/reiki, cookery, travel, religion,
  new age, business, reference and other
  popular categories, Oxford Bookstore will
  simply enamour you. And don't forget to
  pick up beautiful hand-made eco-friendly
  gifts for your loved ones!"
  "Panverica", House No 156,
  Opp. St Anthony's Chapel, Calangute
  +91-93260 60647 or 9822382282 earlier.
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Source: http://www.oxfordbookstore.com/

* Acron's bookshop. Location "in the heart of
  Goa's leisure Riviera at Candolim beach close
  to Vijay Mallya's Kingfisher villa and the
  Taj-Fort Aguada."

Anjuna

* Manali General Stores, Anjuna Beach 2273477

Chicalim

* Sankars, Chicalim 2542436

Some other places that stock books:

* Sai's, Calangute. Along the main road,
  near St Anthony's Chapel
  A general stores. Lots of magazines. Newspapers.

* Saligao Super Market.
  Austin will stock books, preferably with a local
  author.

* Cafe Prakash, Panjim. A noisy, gossipy
  journo haunt by evening... they will store the
  rare book or two.

Online library

* Goa University library is online at
  http://goalnet.unigoa.ac.in/gulibrary/index.htm