When Times Of India (TOI) was starting operations in Goa,our local Press
scared the readers with negative publicity like TOI would pursue the agenda
of builders, news for sale etc.Now we find TOI giving  more balanced and
better copy on local issues. The local dailies are trying to copy format
with page three news, instead of bettering the information on local issues.
Investigative journalism is too much trouble. Not to mention todays public
interest slant.Speaking to various letter writers, we have a common grouse
of editing/censoring our main points.This valuable source of feedback
appears to be treated with scant respect both by the Establishment and the
local dailies.
Just take one recent example:
Reference  Great Goan Illusion ( NT  12Aug), the whole expostulation could
be summarised as  "All Five Fingers Are Not  The Same". However  the article
by no lesser person than the Editor,was trying to show the CM as mum who
cannot satisfy the childrens different menu requirements, who tell her how
to cut the Bhaji etc. Rebuff to goans and those protesting present state of
affairs in Goa! I sent a brief letter with reference ,stating that
uncles(MLAs and Vested Interests) are  busy trying to dispossess her and
also trying disowning the children from their assets. Children are already
deprived of  enough potable water, cooking infrastructure, cannot study/
access the internet and TV  due power failures etc.The children also sorely
miss their Papa!

Not one of my letters,however brief disagreeing/ holding a different view
from the Editorials/ newspaper expostulations have so far been published.If
this one was, I would have fired crackers  with joy that our Press has some
sense of humour, can take criticism, and are not biased! Thank God for the
Internet and Goanet.