XAVIER'S NEWS & FEATURES E-SERVICE (XNFES)

Our Goa University deserves The BEST
-- Newman Fernandes

It was always the dream of a small state like Goa to have its own apex educational Centre, rather than to depend on a University from a neighbouring state. Goa University was established in Goa to serve primarily the interests of Goa and Goans and it has worked for their benefit. When I say "Our Goa University deserves the best" the underlying statement is that our students deserve the best.

When a lifetime opportunity is available to an individual or to an organization, everybody is happy since it provides a lifeline to move forward with determination in a highly competitive world. The word "everybody" is used in a broader sense, since there may be some who, out of jealousy, or due to an axe to grind, or petty "politics", are disappointed and wish that such a lucky opportunity should not have been made available. This may be due to some unpleasant experience or misunderstanding.

Support for higher education

The announcement of the Central Government to support higher education in India with funds to an extent so far never made available, brought a smile on the faces of pro-education people. The Prime Minister during his recent short trip to Goa, labelled the XI Plan as the Education Plan. It was indeed a shot in the arm! A large number of initiatives have been planned and some have already been executed, in favour of higher education. One of them was the establishment of Central Universities in those states where they had not been earlier instituted.

The main characteristics of a Central University include its establishment through an Act of Parliament, decision making bodies with wide representation, generous funding and greater autonomy. Central University is a university funded by the Centre. It is not a stereotype model to be replicated mechanically. Some Central Universities are residential others are not; some don't affiliate colleges, while others do; some came into existence as Central Universities and others were upgraded from State Universities to central Universities; some are doing extremely well, while others are lagging behind.

Goa and Central University

The UPA Government in its generosity selected Goa as one of the recipients of large scale central funds. To understand the scheme of funding better, one must note that Goa University will receive 11 crores from Central Government for the five years of the XI Plan while a central University would receive around 160 crores for the same period. If funds are available, one can have better and additional infrastructure, advanced technology, more teachers and better paid luminaries, variety of courses that respond to the needs of the market and to the stirrings of the soul, course marketing, highly paid guest faculty, initiatives to sustain growth and progress etc. As the common man says the rich grow richer the Goa University would have a chance to grow qualitatively and quantitatively.

Upgradation of Goa University

The Government of Goa accepted this gift and proposed that Goa University should be the recipient of these funds with its upgradation to Central University. And rightly so! Being unable to provide equivalent funds, the best option for the Goa Government was to welcome with open hands the central offer. I also appreciate the initiative of our Government to offer a platform for discussions about the considerations to be weighed at the time of upgradation.

No state university can excel without adequate funding. Even competent and renowned faculty will desert the sinking ship and accelerate the deterioration. A vicious cycle sets in thereafter.

There cannot be progress when there is no autonomy. One cannot bind a person with fetters of iron shackles and ask him to run! At present, Goa University has to obtain NOC from the Government even to appoint a peon. Though this is an anachronism, unfortunately it is a reality.

In many states a University is treated as a fiefdom of the ruling party and subjected to political interferences at the drop of a hat. It is very difficult to excel under these circumstances. Fortunately, our Chief Minister is determined to put education in the hands of educationists.

When we express adverse remarks regarding a University, this refers to the specific people who work in the University. They may need correction. Why should the University suffer? And this definitely translates into "why should our students suffer"?

Claim for central funds

We will be sounding the death knell for Goa University and choke it to death if we ignore its claim or of its students to central funds through upgradation and suggest the establishment of another University in Goa during the XI Plan. The good must not be made an enemy of the probable best and not even the best. Just because it is possible, it does mean that the new University will necessarily be better than the existing one. Perhaps we may be ready for another University in the XII Plan.

Student demography

If we analyse the present student demography in Goa we realize that the number of students enrolling for higher education is very small. This year 9,970 students passed the Std. XII exams and 11,026 passed the Std. X exam, and consequently the number of students for Std. XII in 2010-11, will be much lower than this year. In 2008-09, the Goa University enrolled only around 500 students for the Part I out of which only around 60% are Goans. Except for four departments, the remaining have not been able to fill their quota (this itself has been lowered earlier because of shortage of students).

Deserving Goan Students

When Goa University is upgraded into Central University, no deserving Goan student should be denied admission. However, this possibility may not arise because the reservation for Goans can be increased and seats too can be increased. Based on the present trend, seats will still remain vacant. Goa University has its own assets like buildings, equipment, and etc. and under existing legislation the owner is Goa University. The State Government cannot transfer it unless through the process of acquisition, nor the Central Government. Just because the Central Government provides funds to the State Government, the ownership is not transferred to the Central Government.

Let us stop flying kites and blackmailing the public with bogeys and other denizens of the night to arouse emotions.

Conclusion

There is a strong need to strengthen our Goa University which is possible if adequate funds are made available for its development, which means development of our students. VCs, Registrars and staff will come and go but our Goa University will remain.

They and us are not enemies, but we are all working in tandem for the cause of education. The benefit will be an endless advantage to our students.

Which children will be pleased when their mother is deprived of much needed funds when the same are made available to another woman?