From: Carvalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet]  The strange desire to take credit for surnames

I am currently researching a Pinto. As is my habit, I sit up late and google
all the Pintos there are to emerge from google. Last night, I came across a
webpage put together by some diligent Goan, who lists the accomplishments of
the Pintos of Goa, as if they are somehow one clan. There is in Goa, a most
irrepressible desire to take credit for surnames and assume some merit
merely based on belonging to a certain family name.

(deleted)

So, why are we Goan Catholics obsessed with family names and bent on
assuming privilege and merit on account of them?

Late night thoughts of an insomniac.
selma