Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:03:52 +0530 (IST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Article on hindutva terror in Frontline. Read on.
http://www.frontlineonnet.com/stories/20081121252310100.htm

How laws are used to browbeat and subdue minorities in India. POTA for muslims
and Freedom of Religion Act for christians.
http://www.frontlineonnet.com/stories/20081121252303200.htm

Mario asks:

Marshall,

I am noticing recently a pattern of posts under your name, which amount to a
barrage of selective information about Hindu extremism in India, without the
context of Hindus generally.

Is it news that there are Hindutva extremists in India?  Who do you think
killed Matatma Gandhi?  I grew up way back in the good old days with members of
groups called RSS and Hindu Mahasabha.  I know what makes them tick better than
most Hindus on Goanet.

To put some perspective on the Hindutva extremists,

a) There are some 800 million Hindus in India who do not believe in the
Hindutva philosophy, compared to the relatively small number of Hindus who do.

b) Proof of this lies in the rejection of the BJP and their "India Shining"
campaign of a few years ago, when they were ousted largely by Hindus who
believe in secularism and tolerance, and

c) If this were not so, India would have been as ethnically cleansed as
Pakistan by now.

Don't you find it ironic that the series of articles you are posting exposing
the Hindutva movement are from Frontline, a magazine from the publishers of the
Hindu?

It is up to local, state and federal governments and the legal system in India
to put any extremist genies who escape, back in the bottle.  If they are
failing to do so, your complaint should be with them.

However, the information you have posted suggests the legal system did do its
job in preventing POTA to be abused by the Gujarat government.

Look, the fundamentalist Christians who engage in coerced conversions think you
Catholics are evil and Pope Benny is the anti-Christ because you all deny that
the Bible was literally dictated directly by Christ in modern English, as well
as all the Indian languages simultaneously.

Perhaps we should call theirs the Christutva movement.